Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding poles and zeros from TransferFunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammu1

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have a Transfer function like this

V_s/J_s=[g_ds2 g_ds3 (-((-g_ds2 + g_m2)/g_ds3) + ((-s c_x - g_ds1 - g_ds2 + g_m2) (s c_y + g_ds2 + g_ds3 -g_m3))/(g_ds2 g_ds3)) ]/
[-g_ds2 (s C_L + g_ds3 + g_L) (-g_ds2 + g_m2) - (-s c_x - g_ds1 - g_ds2 + g_m2) (-(s C_L + g_ds3 + g_L) (s c_y + g_ds2 + g_ds3 - g_m3) - g_ds3 (-g_ds3 + g_m3))]

By using above Transfer function how to plot bode diagram and how to find pole and zeros .

Give me some suggestions !

Thanks

That equation is next to impossible to read. Are all those "s"'s Laplacian "s" or something else? We have no idea what a term like "g_ds2_g_ds3" means. Maybe you can simplify that and repost it.

You understand that ZEROES are values of s where the transfer function=0, and POLES are where the TF goes to infinity, right?

Hi,

By using MATHEMATICA Tool i find pole and zeros but it giving very big equations.

Is there any method to find pole zeros from the transfer function. I tried with different methods but am not understanding the results .
Please any one tell the method to find pole zeros .

Thanks

Is there any method to find pole zeros from the transfer function. I tried with different methods but am not understanding the results .
Please any one tell the method to find pole zeros .
Thanks

I know one method only:
*Zeros: Set the numerator equal to zero and solve for s
*Poles: Set the denominator equal to zero and solve for s

Ya i tried like that only but its very difficult to find in my case.

So am searching for any other method is available.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Ya i tried like that only but its very difficult to find in my case.

So am searching for any other method is available.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Use matlab, You can use h = tf( [num],[den]) to get your transfer function. for eg h = tf( [1] , [1 0]) gives you h = 1 / s.
then use pzplot(h) ..it will give you a plot of your poles and zeros.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

**broken link removed**

See the above link on how to form a Transfer Function using tf ( )

Hi, Thank u for reply and suggestions.
But the below command is gives the transfer function when u know the coefficients.
h = tf( [1] , [1 0])

I have transfer function like this
V_s/J_s=[g_ds2 g_ds3 (-((-g_ds2 + g_m2)/g_ds3) + ((-s c_x - g_ds1 - g_ds2 + g_m2) (s c_y + g_ds2 + g_ds3 -g_m3))/(g_ds2 g_ds3)) ]/
[-g_ds2 (s C_L + g_ds3 + g_L) (-g_ds2 + g_m2) - (-s c_x - g_ds1 - g_ds2 + g_m2) (-(s C_L + g_ds3 + g_L) (s c_y + g_ds2 + g_ds3 - g_m3) - g_ds3 (-g_ds3 + g_m3))]

from this i need to find pole and zeros.
If i give this command in matlab iam getting error
h = tf( [g_ds2* g_ds3 *(-((-g_ds2 + g_m2)/g_ds3) + ((-s *c_x - g_ds1 - g_ds2 + g_m2)* (s *c_y + g_ds2 + g_ds3 -g_m3))/(g_ds2* g_ds3))],[-g_ds2 *(s* C_L + g_ds3 + g_L) (-g_ds2 + g_m2) - (-s* c_x - g_ds1 - g_ds2 + g_m2)* (-(s* C_L + g_ds3 + g_L) *(s *c_y + g_ds2 + g_ds3 - g_m3) - g_ds3 (-g_ds3 + g_m3))])
**Undefined function or variable 's'.**

Please help me.

Thanks

I think you need to simplify your transfer function. No offense, but what you have there is a mess. You've got underscores and capital letters and lowercase letters and spaces and parentheses and brackets. No wonder you can't figure this out. If those things like "g_ds2 g_ds3" are supposed be a single constant, then just use a single letter.

HI barry sorry for inconvenience.
Actually my circuit is like below

By using small signal model i find the equations and after solving iam getting the output impedance. Finally iam getting the numerator and denominator shown as below

Num= g_ds2 g_ds3 (-((-g_ds2 + g_m2)/g_ds3) + ((-s c_x - g_ds1 - g_ds2 + g_m2) (s c_y + g_ds2 + g_ds3 _g_m3))/(g_ds2 g_ds3))
Den=-g_ds2 (s c_L + g_ds3 + g_L) (-g_ds2 + g_m2) - (-s c_x - g_ds1 - g_ds2 + g_m2) (-(s c_L + g_ds3 + g_L) (s c_y + g_ds2 + g_ds3 - g_m3) - g_ds3 (-g_ds3 + g_m3))

Now i want to find pole zeros from above symbolic expressions.

Please suggest something

Thanks

Ammu1, certainly one of the symbolic simulation programs can do the job.
For example, for similar tasks I have used the following software:

* Xfunc (**broken link removed**)
* Vissim (Vissim.com).

However, in both cases, it is - of course - necessary to rewrite your transfer function using the program-specific terms and notations.

I should add the information that both programs are free of charge (VISSIM as evaluation version)

Last edited:

By using small signal model i find the equations and after solving iam getting the output impedance. Finally iam getting the numerator and denominator shown as below

Num= g_ds2 g_ds3 (-((-g_ds2 + g_m2)/g_ds3) + ((-s c_x - g_ds1 - g_ds2 + g_m2) (s c_y + g_ds2 + g_ds3 _g_m3))/(g_ds2 g_ds3))
Den=-g_ds2 (s c_L + g_ds3 + g_L) (-g_ds2 + g_m2) - (-s c_x - g_ds1 - g_ds2 + g_m2) (-(s c_L + g_ds3 + g_L) (s c_y + g_ds2 + g_ds3 - g_m3) - g_ds3 (-g_ds3 + g_m3))

Now i want to find pole zeros from above symbolic expressions.

Num and Den are equivalents to:
Num(s) = a2 s^2 + a1 s + a0
Den(s) = b3 s^3 + b2 s^2 + b1 s + b0

By hand (or by symbolic software) you can easily find a symbolic expression for zeros (Num(s) = 0) because is a 2nd order equation.

But Den(s) is a 3rd grade polynomial --> the symbolic expression of the poles isn't compact as function of b3,b2,b1,b0 , and of course, as function of g_ds1,g_ds2....... is a useless nightmare.

Then, evaluate a0,a1...b0,b1... and continue with Bode plot, poles and zeros, whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.