Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

filter not converged in Matlab

Status
Not open for further replies.

senmeis

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have created a downconverter with dsp.DigitalDownConverter System object **broken link removed**, but got this warning: The filter design has not converged. Try increasing the passband ripple value, or decreasing the stopband attenuation.

After making DecimationFactor greater this warning disappears. Is it normal for filters? Is the filter unstable if it’s not converged?

Owen

The filter design method uses an iterative procedure to find the solution.
Sometimes, this iterative procedure fails to converge, especially when the requirements are too stringent.
When that happens, it doesn't mean that you obtained an unstable filter. It simply means that you didn't got a filter at all.
Regards

Z

The filter design method uses an iterative procedure to find the solution.
Sometimes, this iterative procedure fails to converge, especially when the requirements are too stringent.
When that happens, it doesn't mean that you obtained an unstable filter. It simply means that you didn't got a filter at all.
Regards

Z

In reality the filter can be created even with this warning. The filter operates well too. I’m just afraid someday an error occurs.

Owen

Hi Owen,

Does the filter meet the specifications (passband ripple and stopband attenuation)?

Z

Hi Owen,

Does the filter meet the specifications (passband ripple and stopband attenuation)?

Z

My parameters look like these:

DecimationFactor = 32
SampleRate = 1e10
Bandwidth = 300e6
StopbandAttenuation = 58
PassbandRipple = 0.2
CenterFrequency = 240e6

This shall down convert a 240MHz passband signal to baseband.

Owen

Hi Owen,

In reality the filter can be created even with this warning. The filter operates well too.

The question is:
If you plot the transfer function (amplitude vs. frequency) of the created filter, does it have the specified characteristics? i.e.:

Bandwidth = 300e6
StopbandAttenuation = 58
PassbandRipple = 0.2
CenterFrequency = 240e6

Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back