Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

figure-of-merit (FoM) calculation & GSM local oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepsetan

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

FoM.png

1. I know that this formula is only valid when L(fm) is in dBc/Hz. In SPICE simulation such as LTSPICE, the phase noise generated is always in in nV/Hz unit. Let say if the noise generated is 2.3505nV/Hz, how to convert this phase value to dBc/Hz? . I only managed to convert nV/Hz to dBm/Hz but I'm not satisfy with my calculation.

2. If my local oscillator is a 2.4-GHz oscillator, does it suitable to be use with GSM800 and GSM900? Do I need a new GSM with higher frequency to make it compatible with the 2.4-GHz oscillator?

... Let say if the noise generated is 2.3505nV/Hz, how to convert this phase value to dBc/Hz? . I only managed to convert nV/Hz to dBm/Hz but I'm not satisfy with my calculation.

dBc is related to the carrier signal power, s. here.

dBc is related to the carrier signal power, s. here.

Hi,

I knew that dBc and dBm is two different things. Thats why I guess there is something wrong with my calculation. Do you have any reference on how to do the conversion of nV/Hz to dBc?

Do you have any reference on how to do the conversion of nV/Hz to dBc?

AFAIK, noise voltage is measured in units of [V/√Hz], noise power in units of [W/Hz].

You need as reference the peak spectral voltage of your carrier signal Vc. If your noise voltage is Vn , then dBc = 20*log (Vn/Vc).

Example: Vc=1mV/√Hz ; Vn=1nV/√Hz ; L(fm)=-120dBc

AFAIK, noise voltage is measured in units of [V/√Hz], noise power in units of [W/Hz].

You need as reference the peak spectral voltage of your carrier signal Vc. If your noise voltage is Vn , then dBc = 20*log (Vn/Vc).

Example: Vc=1mV/√Hz ; Vn=1nV/√Hz ; L(fm)=-120dBc

Hi,

Thanks, ok now I'm more understand. But what do you meant by 'peak spectral voltage of carrier signal'?. If I measure at frequency of 2.4-GHz, so I will get the value of Vn. But how I determine the value of Vc?

... what do you mean by 'peak spectral voltage of carrier signal'?.
If I measure at frequency of 2.4 GHz, so I will get the value of Vn. But how I determine the value of Vc?

I'd think fo is your oscillator frequency (2.4GHz), fm the measurement frequency (e.g. 2.0 GHz) where you measure the spectral noise voltage Vn = L (in units of V/√Hz).

So I think Vc is the 'peak spectral voltage of your carrier signal' (@ 2.4 GHz), whereas Vn is the spectral noise voltage at a certain measurement frequency of interest fm, where you want to diagnose the frequency-dependent FoM.

But I don't know your above equation, so perhaps I'm wrong.

I'd think fo is your oscillator frequency (2.4GHz), fm the measurement frequency (e.g. 2.0 GHz) where you measure the spectral noise voltage Vn = L (in units of V/√Hz).

So I think Vc is the 'peak spectral voltage of your carrier signal' (@ 2.4 GHz), whereas Vn is the spectral noise voltage at a certain measurement frequency of interest fm, where you want to diagnose the frequency-dependent FoM.

But I don't know your above equation, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Yes erikl. I think you are might correct about the equation! My oscillator is 2.4-GHz.

2.400-GHz = Vc
2.401-GHz = Vn @ 1-MHz

Hi,

This is what I got from my simulation.

Vc = 85.3808pV/Hz @ 2.4-GHz
Vn = 85.3804pV/Hz @ 2.401-GHz

Vn/Vc = 0.99

20*log (0.99) = -50.86u

I think there is something wrong with this value or the calculation. Any idea?

Your Vc value is very low, so perhaps it's not Vc , but Vnoise(@fosc), i.e. the carrier signal voltage is already subtracted.

Or you have a very broad spectrum from your osc. Could you show its spectrum, say fosc±10MHz ?

Your Vc value is very low, so perhaps it's not Vc , but Vnoise(@fosc), i.e. the carrier signal voltage is already subtracted.

Or you have a very broad spectrum from your osc. Could you show its spectrum, say fosc±10MHz ?

Hi,

Yes you are correct. 85.3808pv/Hz is the value that I obtain for Vnoise at 2.4-GHz. Is that correct? If not,so how do we calculate or get the Vc? At 10-MHz offset frequency, the value is 85.6531pV/Hz.

As I told you above:

Hi,

Thanks erikl for reminding me about the spectral voltage. My peak spectral voltage for 2.4-GHz is 180mV/Hz. Therefore the phase noise is around -185 @ 1-MHz. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

My peak spectral voltage for 2.4-GHz is 180mV/Hz. Therefore the phase noise is around -185 @ 1-MHz.

-185 dBc , that's really a good SNR-1 for 1MHz carrier distance, congratulation!

Status
Not open for further replies.