Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FIFO Xilinx Core Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirill

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!
I am a bit confused about this two signals in FIFO core : "rd_data_count" and "wr_data_count". For what this option in core generator exists? I mean why it is not enough to use only one signal "data_count"? What situation could occur when i will need both of them?
Thank you!

When You use DCFIFO (dual clock fifo). When the read or/and write clocks are different frequency, You can check the full/empty flag and control the write and read flags accordingly.

But the size of the buffer does not change, if i use different frequencies

When you use two different clocks and different read and write widths, I'm sure you will see the difference.

But even with the same widths, but different clocks the 2 counts are useful. The rd_data_count is updated on the read clock, and wr_data_count is updated on the write clock.

Generally I find that for functionality during synthesis I don't really need the data_count. Empty and full flags turn out to be enough. BUT, for simulation having rd_data_count and wr_data_count available are turns out to be very useful. So while I only need empty/full for synthesis, I still enable rd_data_count and wr_data_count as well because it makes simulation and debugging a lot easier.

hope that helps

Reactions: kirill

kirill

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
It is more useful to use almost_full or almost_empty flags as data is never corrupted or gone. This also can be achieved by using usedw[width-1:0] output. I am talking about Altera DCFIFO here, but I am sure, the same is on Xilinx.

It is more useful to use almost_full or almost_empty flags as data is never corrupted or gone. This also can be achieved by using usedw[width-1:0] output. I am talking about Altera DCFIFO here, but I am sure, the same is on Xilinx.

For synthesis I agree that "almost_full" and "almost_empty" are far more useful than "rd_data_count" and "wr_data_count". The added value of "almost_full" above "full" of course is a bit relative. But it does give you 1 more cycle, so that makes things a bit easier...

For simulation and debug reasons I still use "rd_data_count" and "wr_data_count" in addition to "empty" and "full" flags. So far I have not found any drawbacks to that...

And yeah, it's the same on xilinx, since that's what I'm talking about. :)

So, in conclusion of the thread read and write data count need in such situations(synthesis) :
1. different frequencies on wr part and rd part of the fifo for correct update of the count value.
2. if different write and read data width applies.
3. or 1 and 2 points together.
Yes?

That's a bit too ambiguous to say yes or no to as a definite conclusion. Could you please clarify, because I don't quite follow what you mean exactly.

I am confused in general on a daily basis, but that is beside the point. ;)

What I mean is that your sentences are a bit too non-specific and ambiguous to pin down an exact meaning. And ambiguity is never a good starting point for a summary.

Could you maybe rephrase it using completely new and different sentences? Thanks.

I agree with You in "ambiguity is never a good starting point for a summary". "Clarify the meaning of words - and you will save mankind from half errors" Rene Descartes. This is may be not exact quote, this is translation from Russian. I am not so good in English, so may be this is the reason of ambiguity of points above)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back