Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fiber optic for cctv connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

danesh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cctv connection with optical fiber

hi there,

i would like to know is there any connection on close circuit tv conected using fiber optic ,is it cost effective compared to conection using wires?

do any one have info on ftth?

thank you

regards
danesh

hi danesh

Fiber optic is expensive compared to coaxial wire for example. In what country you are in?
In USA a cheap coaxial (they buy it cheap) cable holds cable TV channels signals to about let say: 20 different apartments in a small building. I never believe they all see the same tv channel forget about pay-per-view and other perks in cable-tv.

If they do not have picture-to-picture TV, as the matter of fact they do share the same wire, that would mean that cheap coaxial cable I am talking is capable for 20 tv signals with their appropriate coding/compression schemes/modulation etc.

a) How far and b) how many signals you will carry for this fiber or coaxial cable in this CCTV network?

If you have for this CCTV network for a large distance (which I doubt it in cctv) or about 50 signals then go for fiber optic. If is it 10-20 signals then a cheap coaxial cable will do the job fine also.

I hope his helps.

This issue is quite complex.
In small intallations almost 100% is co-axial cable. This is normal AM-modulated video signal and with most of cables (RG-6, RG-58, RG-59...) yu can put as many TV channels (VHF...UHF) as you want...normal TV or VCR can be used as receiver.

Significant number of industrial installation use optical fiber (single core or multi-core) to transmitt video signals (with data or sound) over long distancies or in noisy environment. In this case the video signal is FM-modulated and you need transmitter and receiver pair to transmit video. This is more expensive but pays-off as the video quality is superior, regardless of distance or electromagnetical interfirence.

In most cases cost determines which type of transmission is used and in most cases the cable is still more cost effective.

Thanx Dear IanP for the important info about Cabling types.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back