Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FFT output data width

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthi1412

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I am giving 8192 ADC(14 bit) samples to FFT(8192 points). ADC samples are in 2's complement format. What is the FFT output bit width which means real and imaginary bit width?? How to calculate this?? please anyone suggest me.

Thanks,
Karthi Periyasamy

Hi,

What code software are you using?
I´d read it´s documentation...

I guess:
the input bit width is not 14 bit. I rather guess signed 16 bit or float.
So the ouput could be signed 16 bit, signed 32 bit or float.

Klaus

Hi,

What code software are you using?
I´d read it´s documentation...

I guess:
the input bit width is not 14 bit. I rather guess signed 16 bit or float.
So the ouput could be signed 16 bit, signed 32 bit or float.

Klaus
Hi,
yes, if we use processor, It will be 16 bit or 32 bit. But, I am using Xilinx FFT IP core in Zynq FPGA.

FFT involves scaling, respectively the output can have any data format and width set in the tool.
Hi,
FFT scaling process will reduce the precision(less than N points value). Without scaling, what will be maximum bit representation for fft real and imaginary part.

Every multiply can double the bit width, every addition can add a bit, which is why scaling is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.