Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Few questions about DIY lightbulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakopappa

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys!

I am interested in building my own open-source wifi enabled lightbulb. These are the parts I am planing to use in this project

1. ESP-01 ESP8266 serial WIFI wireless module to commnucate with the bulb

2. one 12V LED light / 6 Watts.

Questions;

1. Should I use a transformer to convert 220V to 12V or I should use a transformer less curcit to power the LED light ?

2. To control the 12v LED bulb, Should I use a solid state relay or is there a better solution ?

3. LED is 12V/6W and ESP8266 circut requires 3V. How should I convert the power to support both devices?

I have basic knowladge of electornics. Please help

1. ideally yes, a capacitive dropper would require a large capacitor and has safety implications. It would also be more difficult to provide a stable voltage for the remaining circuits as the light was turned on and off. You may need to build two power supplies working independantly. With a transformer you can easily do it with one supply.

2. Possibly you could use an SSR but the LED works from DC so it would be simpler and cheaper to use a MOSFET switch.

3. I would drop the incoming AC to 12V DC then as the ESP8266 only has a small power requirement, use a 12V to 3V linear regulator.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.