Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ferrite torrid with smallest B-H curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

kappa_am

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a magnetic material preferably available in ring shape with smallest B-H curve. I mean it goes to saturation with very small A/m value and also it has low saturation B.
Smaller than N87. smaller better.

Thank you

I suspect the question is based on an error of reasoning. To get saturation at a low field strength H, you want high permeability and lower core cross section, e.g. using T46 or 3E9 material.

If I am wrong please correct me; If saturated value of B is same for all cores. But I think it is deferent. For example, Amorphous cores go to the saturation with smaller H value, but with same core size saturated B value is almost 10 times of N87,... .
I need material with quite opposite characteristics get to saturation in low H and has low saturated B value ( low permeability).
Is there any core material with this characteristics?

Thank you

A ferrite bead might be suitable (although I don't know how to apply the specs being discussed).
I used a tiny bead with holes to make a 'joule thief' voltage booster.

Instructions say how to run wires through it, turning it into a transformer. An explanation tells how the transformer saturates during operation. It carries a few tens of mA.

bigclive.com/joule.htm
(Photo showing size of the ferrite bead)

joule8.jpg

for a non gapped toroid, the B is only material dependent up to the saturation point of the material,

B = Uo Ur H = Uo.Ur Ipk N / length-mag-path

so you can either make the ave circumference of the toroid/bead as small as possible, or add turns to the toroid/bead or have a material with a very high Ur, which will get you to saturation at lower through current, however these types of material, if ferrite, often have higher losses, cores like metglas have very "square" B-H loops which get you to saturation for lower currents ...

Toshiba "ammo beads" is/was a brand that may well embody what you are seeking, now this:

and:

and: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...f-357300.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2l8iyBtVJwXWlhldYd9i9X

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back