Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Ferrite Core Transformer for Power Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishanand14

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am just curious to know what will happen if I use a ferrite core transformer[say turns ratio=10 connected in a step down fashion to step down 230V to 23V]

I have read it many times that ferrite core transformer is used for high frequency operation.

To give you a useful answer, could you give is more info?

Assuming 50 Hz input frequency, you will get a bulky ferrite transformer as the flux density for ferrite is far below that for 50 Hz material. Think of 0.5 T for ferrite and 1.5T for 50 Hz material. This means the ferrite core will be larger (w.r.t. normal 50 Hz laminate or tape core).

Ferrite will outperform 50 Hz transformer material when using high frequency only. Doubling the frequency, halves the flux density given same voltage/turn ratio. Ferrite can be used at high frequency because of the high resistivity of the material (less eddy current loss).

You can get 1500 VA torroids for 50/60Hz from Actown. http://www.actown.com/download/Catalog/Oem_Design_Guide.pdf Run cooler, big but lighter.

". Increase ƒ
B would decrease, possibly resulting in lower core losses. However, as you
move to higher frequencies, core losses could become more significant.
A switch to ferrite will minimize these losses but at a cost of decreased B.
However, the efficiency gains from a higher frequency will more than offset
the lower B. The higher frequency would also allow for a smaller
transformer, N and/or Ac would decrease."

"Confusing…yes. Confusing to us…no " ... Actown Electricoil Inc

- - - Updated - - -

for a sine wave

E = 4.44 B N Ac ƒ x 10-8

Where E is the induced voltage, volts
B is the maximum induction, gauss
N is the number of turns in the windings
Ac is the cross-section of the magnetic material, cm^2
ƒ is the frequency, Hz

Last edited:
if it is higher frequency application, please use Mn-Zn power core.e.g.PC40,3C90.
if it is lower frequency application, please use lamination core, e.g.EI core.

Hello people!

I have come to know some interesting facts:

Bsat for ferrites is less=0.3 Tesla(approx)
Bsat for laminated iron core=1.5 Tesla(approx)

Also ferrite goes into saturation abruptly whereas iron core goes into saturation gradually.Therefore it is used for saturable core inverters.

Also ferrite is an expensive and fragile material.

Hence ferrites can't be used for power frequencies effectively.

I am just curious to know what will happen if I use a ferrite core transformer[say turns ratio=10 connected in a step down fashion to step down 230V to 23V]

I have read it many times that ferrite core transformer is used for high frequency operation.

If you mean to use at 50Hz, the answer is the transformer will just burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.