Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FDTD software: useful or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the fdtd very useful , especially if u work in broadband freq. it is very fast and precise.

Re: fdtd

ppop said:
Is there anyone who uses EMPIRE v3.2?

I've tried Empire 3.2 but GUI sucks :x
I resigned to learn it !!

Also interested if someone has invested time to learn it...

Eirp

CST is a good program 2 use for FDTD simulation

I have written some programs solving em problem and I used mom and fdm.

My point is every method has its pro and con, so does fdtd.

I think fdtd is very useful!!! who has the CFDTD package? I want one copy! :) Thank you before!

Is there anyone who uses CST MWS4.2?

Is there anyone who uses CST MWS4.2?

Any one of you tried EMAP5 (freesoftware!!!!)?

Hello people.

Everybody is always talking about the very expensive tools available arround. People are making a lot of money selling those tools. And as we talk about them (the commercial ones) we help those people even more just making free adverticements for their softwares!!!!!

1st question?
There is available on the net a free electromagnetics simulator. The name of this software is EMAP5. Did anyone of you tried succesfully this freesoftware to develop any high frequency structure?

2nd question?
Are there any other freetools (fdtd or mom) available for high frequency simulation of planar or 3d structures?

Thanks to all you
Sinatra

I'v ever compiled a EMAP5 running it under win2K, with the examples it provided. However I didn't study it further as it's based on FEM/MOM. I'v just starting learning FDTD.

there is a free FDTD solver , with source code at:
**broken link removed**

also a free demo CFDTD package at
**broken link removed**

Hi all,

I have used EM simulators for some time, both FDTD and MoM. They have their stregth and weaknesses, for example FDTD is not suited for high-Q sructures such as resonators (thus filters!) unless you are expert in using it and know how to set all the options (might be 20 of them!) to get the result.

The great problem is that engeeners would like to think on a EM simulator like solving their engineering problem which thay can not! I saw engineers optimizing for weeks a problem on a EM simulator that needs 4-5 simulations and a bit of thinking. Don't trust any EM optimization you will be offered, unfortunately this is not mature yet. The only method that works is Space maping and it is again based on manual user's evaluation of results.

FlyHigh

I think MOM(etc.,FMM) is suitable for scattering problem of big object, while FEM or FDTD(etc.,FIT, CST Microwave Studio based on) is suitable for small objects, especailly for RF/microwave circuit or components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back