Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FDTD modeling of a Gaussian Laser Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

danedmunds

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

First time post here and a bit of a desperate attempt to get some help with a major hold up in my PhD research.

Basically I am writing FDTD code to analyse the effects of laser light through small apertures used in new HAMR technology. I am writing the code in Matlab and have just got to the point where i am attempting to insert a plane wave incident source using TF/SF technique but I want it to have a Gaussian shape profile like that of a typical laser in optical systems.

Does anybody out there have any suggestions or code that would help me achieve this. I have been through many papers and books who all seem to uses the same approach within certain extents but none have came up with a definitive answer. I am using a transverse electric approach in 2D at the moment and can implement a plane wave but when it comes to applying a Gaussian shap function it all goes wrong!!

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

reading the sentence "i am attempting to insert a plane wave incident source using TF/SF technique but I want it to have a Gaussian shape profile", I think you should differentiate the two concepts: Gaussian Beam v.s. Uniform Plane Wave. Sometimes people call the Gaussian beam a plane wave because it has uniform phase on the focal plane. On the other hand, a (normal) plane wave should have both uniform phase and amplitude. (let's forget the evanescent plane wave for this discussion.) So what you need to insert is not A plane wave, but rather a whole spectrum of plane wave.

Since you didn't mention what goes wrong, I would suggest that you first check the propagation of the Gaussian beam in a homogeneous medium. Does the field propagate like a Gaussian beam? If not, give us some details on how you are implementing it. How is your "same" approach different from others? Why you said that nobody has a definite answer?

Also, you can find Gaussian beam in some commercial code (OptiFDTD-if I remember correctly).

have at look at Online Papers at www.t-matrix.de.
There you will find some papers on how to implement the Gaussian
beam into verious scattering theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back