Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FCC rules in closed environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabla101

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I've been looking at UWB radio, and I have found that the FCC has allocated a mask of allowable EIRP spectral density for the UWB band, and I was wondering if this restriction still applies if I am operating equipment inside an environment such as a grounded metal cage, where it is unable to pass to the outside, and therefore unable to cause interference to other RF equipment.

I was hoping I might be able to operate the equipment at a higher power than is allowed by the FCC UWB mask, and wondered if there was any particular law someone could point me to regarding the matter.

For example can I obtainn a license to commercially release the equipment, on the grounds that it is only supposed to be used inside such an environment, even though there is the possibility of the customer using a transmitter in an open environment, which is out of our control?

Thanks

Sounds like you answered your own question. If a user can remove it from this shield room and use it outside, unless you have some interlock mechanism to defeat him, you are probably going to have to sell it compliant to the UWB spectral mask.

The FCC typically demands such means to prevent end user tampering that would violate FCC regs, such as a reverse polarity SMA connector that most typical consumers would not have access to to add a high gain antenna to, etc.

I was wondering if this restriction still applies if I am operating equipment inside an environment such as a grounded metal cage, where it is unable to pass to the outside, and therefore unable to cause interference to other RF equipment.

Here is an example of an FCC authorization for a radar level meter with sweep exceeding the ISM bands, for use in closed metal tanks only.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back