Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fallacies in transmission line theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggnadkarni

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
No power comes back from from the load side of a well matched transmission line.It is not true.If the source is a square wave generator and transmission delay is equal to the ON time of the generator,the load does not get any power.All of it comes back to the generator.

Hi,

So you don't talk about termination (resistor). Without termination it is not matched.
Then yes: Without termination there is no load. Without load there is no power consumption. Without power consumption you will not be able to drive anything. What is it good for?
And for sure: when there is no power consumption ... where should energy go to?--> It needs to go back.

It's like a pipe full of water. At one end there is a pump, the orher end of the pipe is closed.
The pump may put pressure to the water... low pressure, high pressure, it does not matter.
Since the whole thing is useless ... without water flow.

Now terminate the transmission line with a proper resistor. Now it truely is matched. Now all the energy will be consumed by the terminating resistor. No energy is going back (theoretically).

Your idea (again) is a wrong mix of two situations.

Your posts don't help (especially unexperienced) people, they just confuse them.
And it's a waste of time for the experienced people to cure what you done with your posts.
This is the opposite what a forum is meant to do.

Thus any further post of you - without physical knowledge - and without any advantage for our users will be immediately deleted.

Klaus

Not sure if we talk a common language. This is what I consider a transmission line with matched load termination.

1596522682243.png

In this circuit, no power is reflected back to the source, at any frequency, independend of the voltage waveform. All forward transmitted power is absorbed by the load.

When I mean Load , it is mean it is proper terminaton.
Your terminology is different.I think you are not educated right.

Hi,

Think about it:

All people are educated wrong ... only you are educated right.
It's like driving on a motorway and all other people driving in the wrong direction...

Klaus

When I mean Load , it is mean it is proper terminaton.
Your terminology is different.
"Proper" (matched in commonly understood technical terms) termination means load impedance equal to characteristic transmission line impedance, as clearly indicated in my schematic. What's your definition?

Talking big to hide lack of technical knowledge?

I don't understand what you mean. If the line is properly terminated, the load will get the power delivered from the generator with a delay related to the line length. There is no relationship between line delay and the timing of the generator.

There is no relationship between line delay and the timing of the generator.
Right, not in the "proper" terminated case. Wrongly terminated line shows a frequency and length dependend input impedance.

If you only knew a little bit about KlausST, and the vast knowledge and experience he possess, you would not be making those comments.

Your terminology is different

You keep posting controversial discussions, with the blatant purpose of attracting attention to yourself with statements diverging from what is verifiable with the science that took human kind from the caves to the moon, which only demonstrates your lack of knowledge on the subjects, or at least your inability to pose your 'new truths' consistently. Have a look on Maxwell equations applied to transmission lines before insisting on this subject.

Last edited:

There is plenty more where this came from...

Google "Nadkarni research & Inventions" for Facebook posts and consultancy web site.

Prepare to be amused...

Right, not in the "proper" terminated case. Wrongly terminated line shows a frequency and length dependend input impedance.
Yes, of course (right in the proper terminated case). You can see I begun my post with "properly terminated line". Possibly the full stop I used was confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.