Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extremly High Frequency Generator question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

inuyasha10121

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I was wondering if there was a low cost method to generate up to around a 30GHz sine or square wave. It would be nice to have it set up where I can easily vary the frequency. So far, it seems like there is a slim to none chance that I'd be able to pull this off without spending thousands on a high frequency function generator. An idea I had was to use a lower frequency generator I have on hand(0.1Hz - 100kHz) and pass it through a series of frequency multipliers, but I havn't found a definitive schematic for one, most say that its got a low frequency range or don't give equations for the resistor and capacitor values involved. If anyone could give me some leads or some circuits, I would much appreciate it.

There are 11 - 12GHz synths available on ebay for ~ US$75

have a look through this guy's store.... art-in-part | eBay
he regularly has them.
I have bought a number of them off him in the past 12 months to double to 23GHz for a LO on a 24GHz transceiver.

You DONT even want to consider starting at such a low freq as you indicated. That would be a nightmare.

Starting at 11Ghz and x 3 would be much easier. Those synths with a good 10MHz rubidium standard or GPS ref are rock solid in stability. You could look at a way to modulate the synth, or you could as I have done just use the synth as a LO and mix it with another modulated ~100MHz VCO to produce your final freq, and it will, cuz of the VCO have some freq agility :)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.