Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

extremely accurate digital clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

getavinks@gmail.com

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how could i get an extremely accurate digital clock . i made a clock with ds1307 but the time is not that much accurate .

The accuracy of your system depends on how good your main time base is. In the case of DS1307 it depends on whether you have chosen a proper crystal for your chip, and its capacitive loading.

see this note for details --
**broken link removed**

Of course your measurement method for the accuracy should also be very good. How are you testing the accuracy ?

in my clock with ds1307 there is a change of 10min in one week .
it may be because that my clock is placed in a room where machines are working .

I think 10min is too much per week. In what temperature ranges you use this device (room temp, -20C +30C +50C 0C)?

I think 10min is too much per week. In what temperature ranges you use this device (room temp, -20C +30C +50C 0C)?

the room temperate will be 20c to 25c

- - - Updated - - -

is there any other chip which is more better than ds1307

it may be because that my clock is placed in a room where machines are working .

is your change an increase or a decrease ? does it go faster or slower ?
you can improve the accuracy using guidelines from AppNote 58, or go the easier route and use ds3231

it all depends on what you mean by extremely accurate

extremely accurate means the time must be proper for around 6 months.
how is this ds 3231

extremely accurate means the time must be proper for around 6 months.
how is this ds 3231

upto 60 seconds in 6 months means accuracy/ stability of ~4 ppm. DS3231 datasheet claims to be able to do better than this with proper care in all matters.
i do not have personal experience with this ic however

This suggests you have access to mains AC. Is it reliable enough that you could use it as a timebase? Divide down 50 Hz (or 60 Hz) to get 1 Hz pulses, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.