Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extraction of Capacitance of a Interdigitated Capacitor in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandbo

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have been trying to characterise some IDCs using HFSS, but I haven't got any luck confirming my results, in a way that I don't understand which is the correct way to extract the capacitance.

What I have been doing is to draw a layout mentioned on a paper with the dimension and circuit expression as follow, and they calculated the series capacitance:
Dimension.pngLumped element circuit.png

In my simulation, it connected by very short transmission line to two wave ports, and I used de-embed to shift the plane to the starting point of the IDC.
I tried to use Driven Modal, implementing it on CPW (as the paper did) with micro meter dimension over 4-16GHz.

The way I used to extract the capacitance is to approximate it using a pi-network as shown above, then I looked at the Y-parameter as given on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admit...rameters_of_a_reciprocal_two-port_network.svg

What really confused me is:
1. In order to calculate the Series Capacitance, assuming ideal case, can I take the impedance as "-Y(1,2)", and then extract it as C_series=im(-Y(1,2))/(2*pi*freq)?

2. Many people on the web actually suggested that the Capacitance should be im(Y(1,1))/(2*pi*freq), but then I don't understand how we actually get this expression.

Any help would be much appreciated.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back