Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extracting permittivity and permeability in HFSS for NRW Method or Alternatives

Kudo Holmes

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings,
I'm working on characterizing metamaterial properties using electromagnetic simulations in HFSS. I'm particularly interested in the Nicholson-Ross-Weir (NRW) method (based on the S parameters) for extracting permittivity and permeability.
My question is:
  • Can HFSS directly calculate permittivity and permeability based on the NRW method or a similar approach? Ideally, I'd like to identify the specific output variables within HFSS (screenshots if possible) required for the NRW calculations.
If the NRW method isn't directly supported, are there any alternative methods available within HFSS for material property extraction without relying on external tools like MATLAB?
Thank you for your time and insights!

All you need for NRW is the scattering parameters, reference impedance, and length of the metamaterial over which you are assuming homogenization, so yes -- why not? Via google, others have asked this.

You can also determine these properties more elaborately using eigenmode simulation results, with the resulting Bloch propagation constant and characteristic impedance.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back