Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extensive project I need some help with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erazorz23

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey all, new to the forum and hoping to find some experts that can help me with the following project. I originally posted this in the Hobby Circuit section, but apparently it's more in depth than that.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I want to make a scrolling stock ticker in my house that I can hook up to my computer to update quotes on a constant feed. Much like the ones you would see at a major financial corporation, just on a smaller scale.

From the research I've done, It seems as if the easiest way would be to link a bunch of pre assembled bi-color dot matrix displays into a long array, and then use a processor to decode and scroll the information.

However, I'm unsure about several of the specifics, such as how to link several dot matrix displays, what kind of processor to use once they're linked, and how to transfer the information from my computer to the sign.

I know I haven't given you guys much to work with, but any information you can offer will be greatly appreciated, and we can get more specific as the topic dictates. Thanks in advance...

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.