Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extending Ethernet Port

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

In the lab we only have one Ethernet port and we need to have four. Which device we need to connect that can extend one Ethernet port to four ? Is that Ethernet switch we need to connect ? How it goes with the bandwidth ? Do we get same bandwidth 1000 M on each extended port ?

You're looking for an ethernet hub or switch.

ethernet switch (led's lit).jpeg

Hi,

In the lab we only have one Ethernet port and we need to have four. Which device we need to connect that can extend one Ethernet port to four ? Is that Ethernet switch we need to connect ? How it goes with the bandwidth ? Do we get same bandwidth 1000 M on each extended port ?
do the math: 1000M/4, assuming all ports are active simultaneously

and what's the difference between hub and switch. If all four ports are active then would it be 1000M/4 in both ?

Hubs (forwarding the incoming data to all other ports) have been in use for 10BASE-T. I haven't seen a simple hub in the last 20 years. Switches are buffering incoming packets and performing MAC based filtering to specific ports.

Then I guess switch is a better choice to extend one ethernet port in the network to four, so that we can connect four ethernet devices at the same time to the network.

Many wifi routers have 1 ethernet input and 4 ethernet output ports. Often you can disable wifi function if you do not need it. I think that using wifi router as wired router may be cheaper and simpler solution.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: