Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extend the range of dog shock collar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugean

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I stumbled across this forum using google so please if I'm not in the right place just say so. I really do not have any electrical background but am a mechanic so I can try to follow along and swap parts.
Here is what I am working with: **broken link removed** It says it should work up to 400 yds but I'm lucky if I get 40. The company has sent me a new collar and is sending me a new remote so I figured if I can mod the one I have to increase the range that would be great since I don't have any faith that a new remote will help. Its a hunting dog so the more range the better even if it sucks the battery down in 2 hours. I tried soldering a wire where the antenna is and running the wire out of the remote. The wire was about 10" long and saw a minor increase but nothing that I would say was notable. I have attached a picture that the manufacture sent me. they told me to make sure the coil they are pointing to was spread. It was so that didn't help. Even if I have to cut something off of the board and solder something on I am game just tell me what and where. Any help is greatly appreciated as dog keeps taking off after deer and I'm on a budget.

Thanks,

IMAG0159.jpg

What length antenna does the collar have? This may be important to proper operation. Both the transmitter and receiver need an antenna. At least that's how it was with my radio-controlled airplane.

Can you check battery volt levels while the units are on? Just to make sure something is not severely draining the battery.

Since you expect to get a second collar, will that give you two systems to experiment with? Then you can alternately try one unit with another. Perhaps this will let you zero in on the one that is underperforming.

To test transmitter output, there are simple circuits you can make, using one or 2 each of diodes / capacitors / resistors. Then you hook up a meter. The stronger the radio broadcast (regardless of frequency), the higher the meter reading.

Spreading or squeezing the coil loops is often how you change the frequency of radio transmission or reception. It may be possible to adjust the loops until you obtain maximum range. I'm not sure, because it looks like it has a crystal on the board, and a crystal tends to resist any effort to change frequency.

What length antenna does the collar have? This may be important to proper operation. Both the transmitter and receiver need an antenna. At least that's how it was with my radio-controlled airplane.

Can you check battery volt levels while the units are on? Just to make sure something is not severely draining the battery.

I tried it with a new battery and did not have any better results. Just tested it I have 8.67v on a 9v battery. And I've been using it for about 3 weeks every night. Thats the remote the collar gets charged every night and I cannot get to the actual battery without opening it up. And that I don't want to do because its waterproof.

Since you expect to get a second collar, will that give you two systems to experiment with? Then you can alternately try one unit with another. Perhaps this will let you zero in on the one that is underperforming.

Actually this just came in last night. So now I have two remotes one collar.

To test transmitter output, there are simple circuits you can make, using one or 2 each of diodes / capacitors / resistors. Then you hook up a meter. The stronger the radio broadcast (regardless of frequency), the higher the meter reading.

Can you point me to a website that explains how to make this?

Spreading or squeezing the coil loops is often how you change the frequency of radio transmission or reception. It may be possible to adjust the loops until you obtain maximum range. I'm not sure, because it looks like it has a crystal on the board, and a crystal tends to resist any effort to change frequency.

Not sure about a crystal board. Looks like any other circuit board I've seen. Again not an electrical guy.

Links to simple RF field detector schematics (found using a search for images on Google):

**broken link removed**

https://www.qsl.net/n9zia/wireless/pics/rfprobe.gif

https://www.afiata.com/make-2-45ghz-rf-signal-detector/

The next link has one with a transistor. (Scroll 80% of the way down.)

**broken link removed**

--------------------------------------

The receiver unit needs to have an antenna. I guess it's in the collar. These need to be in solid electrical contact with one another. Yet it may be difficult to maintain contact due to the possibility of flexing, twisting, etc.

And it's not easy to test whether they are really in contact. Or whether a wire is unbroken inside its insulation.

If the receiver has lost connection to the antenna, it will greatly reduce sensitivity (no matter how well the transmitter was working).

Examine around the receiver unit for a metal tab or rivet, which looks like it is connected to any wire that is inside the collar. Suppose you were to take a piece of wire about a foot long, and touch it to the metal portion, while you send signals from the transmitter? This may show a change in radio response. It might tell you something anyway.

In cases like this, don't you wish you could try out a few different units, and take home the one that works best?

The receiver unit needs to have an antenna. I guess it's in the collar. These need to be in solid electrical contact with one another. Yet it may be difficult to maintain contact due to the possibility of flexing, twisting, etc.

Yes I figured that there is an antenna built into the receiver on the collar, but this is a sealed unit and i don't want to open it up and compromise the waterproofing.

Examine around the receiver unit for a metal tab or rivet, which looks like it is connected to any wire that is inside the collar. Suppose you were to take a piece of wire about a foot long, and touch it to the metal portion, while you send signals from the transmitter? This may show a change in radio response. It might tell you something anyway.

The receiver has two metal prongs sticking out that it uses to shock the dog. Could these also be used as the antenna? I wouldn't think so as they are pressed against the dog and I would think that shocking would interfere with the signal. Although it does pulse, not a continuous shock. The only other thing like that is a little plastic nub on the top that is used to stop the receiver from sliding around on the collar. It goes through one of the holes to hold it in place. Like a belt. I did look for a half way easy way of putting an antenna on the receiver, as the expensive ones do have one, but couldn't see anyway of doing it.

In cases like this, don't you wish you could try out a few different units, and take home the one that works best?

I would agree, but I don't think my dog would like testing them all out.

I will look over the links, and give this a try this weekend. I got the new remote in the other night so I am about to take the dog out now and see if this one works better. I'll let you know how it all goes. Thank you so much!

Links to simple RF field detector schematics (found using a search for images on Google):

**broken link removed**

https://www.qsl.net/n9zia/wireless/pics/rfprobe.gif

https://www.afiata.com/make-2-45ghz-rf-signal-detector/

The next link has one with a transistor. (Scroll 80% of the way down.)

**broken link removed**

Um? Yeah I looked these over. This is way over my head. And what i could recognize I don't have the stuff to build laying around. I tried to YouTube this and couldn't find any good how to videos. Is there anyway just to test the output of the remove with a standard multimeter? Then maybe get a stronger transmitter or something?

Your picture shows a 'heavy duty' battery. Just on the chance, try a new alkaline type. It may produce more of a burst of power needed to transmit.

The 'heavy duty' type are the modern upgrade of traditional carbon-zinc batteries. Not quite in a league with alkalines.

I have a few 'heavy duty' type that read 9V and above on a meter. They worked for a year or more in smoke detectors until the detector started beeping every minute (the way it does for a low battery). Yet the battery reads good on a meter, and does not appear to have high internal resistance.

thank you I happen to have a new alkaline 9v battery. I will use that tonight when I take the dog out and see. also the new remote does seem to have increased the range about 20 yds through the brush. Haven't gotten to test it in a wide open field but still seems to fall far short of the advertized 400 yds. I'll let you know how the new battery works.

There's also the idea about adjusting the loops of the coil.

The first person may have told the second person, 'the customer might try spreading the loops or compressing the loops, a little at a time, until he gets the unit to transmit at the exact frequency of the receiver. That would be the way to obtain maximum range.'

However the second person might simply have said 'spread the loops a little'.

If you have already tried changing the distance between the loops, you may as well resume this method.

The collar (receiver) should be located just beyond the present operating distance. Use a plastic tool (not metal) to nudge a loop further from the others. See if you get the collar to work at any point, and that will tell you you're on the right track. Also try nudging the loops closer together.

The dog may not like this. There ought to be a workaround.

It might be by putting a radio near the electrodes. Tune it to the AM band and maximum volume. When the shock activates, it should cause loud static from the radio.

Hello ugean.

I think you can not modify the Tx so much. The way to go is to increase the antenna gain of the Tx by changing the antenna to a high gain one. If it can be directional you can use the YAGI antenna, otherwise try the helical one.

Good luck.

Hello ugean.

I think you can not modify the Tx so much. The way to go is to increase the antenna gain of the Tx by changing the antenna to a high gain one. If it can be directional you can use the YAGI antenna, otherwise try the helical one.

Good luck.

The antenna on the remote you are referring to right? I can kind of be directional but also Don't want to be carrying around some massive thing. Still needs to fit in my pocket. I just can't have it so I have to pinpoint the dog just general direction.

- - - Updated - - -

The collar (receiver) should be located just beyond the present operating distance. Use a plastic tool (not metal) to nudge a loop further from the others. See if you get the collar to work at any point, and that will tell you you're on the right track. Also try nudging the loops closer together.

The dog may not like this. There ought to be a workaround.

It might be by putting a radio near the electrodes. Tune it to the AM band and maximum volume. When the shock activates, it should cause loud static from the radio.

It did come with a test light so I can try that and see if I can see it from that far away. when you say spread the loops all four or just the gap in the center? I did adjust them on the old remote so I can still just open that one up and play around. I did used my fingers before is that ok?

Thanks,

You'll get the widest variation between spreading all loops apart equally, or pressing them all together tightly.

Move one or two only a tiny distance at a time, and watch for any kind of result. Avoid moving the end loops a lot because it stresses the solder joints.

I don't know if the transmitter sends only one brief pulse when you press the button and hold it, or a constant stream. If it sends continual pulses, then you can adjust the frequency by holding down the button and simultaneously manipulating the loops.

If it sends one brief pulse, then you must let up the button, move a loop a bit, then press the button again.

A plastic tool is needed in order not to throw off the operating frequency when you bring it close to the components.

A metal tool will change the operating frequency as you bring it close to the circuit board. Likewise with our fingers. Picture obtaining optimum operation while your finger touches the coil, but then you lose it all when you pull your finger away.

A plastic spoon or knife is probably the most convenient tool to use. One with a sharp edge.

If it sends continual pulses, then you can adjust the frequency by holding down the button and simultaneously manipulating the loops.

It continuously pulses. Thanks I'll give this a try later.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello ugean.

Good luck.

Is something like this what you are referring to?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833998114

How do I know which one is right for my application? This one says for use with any 2.4GHz system. Or does that not really matter as long as it screws on?

Speaking of the antenna...

Examine the solder joints where the antenna (or antenna base) connects to the board. It's a high stress point.

Cracked solder joints will affect operation for the worse.

Use a strong magnifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back