Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extend a HDMI switch button

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyManDude

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an HDMI switching unit that has a momentary push button to switch between 2 inputs and an output. I want to use it inside an arcade cabinet but I want to extend the button to the cabinet exterior so it can easily be switched. I have attached some pictures of the unit. If you would be kind enough to offer some guidance I would appreciate help figuring out how to go about it please.

It has a 4 pin button. Could I solder 4 long wires to the 4 connection points on the bottom of the circuit board under the switch? Most momentary buttons only have 2 conductors though, so I'm confused as to what button I should use. I would like to use a stylish led button like those in the pic if possible.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0093.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0093.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 165
  • thumbnail_IMG_0094.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0094.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 154
  • thumbnail_IMG_0095.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0095.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 152
  • stylish button.jpg
    stylish button.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Those switches have four pins to give them mechanical stability, they have only two electrical connections and each of them has two physical pins.

With the underside exposed, use a wire to link a pair of the switches solder joints. When you find the pair that change HDMI source (replicating pressing the button) connect your extension wires to them and to the remote switch. There is no need to remove the original switch.

Brian.

Appreciate your feedback betwixt. I was able to successfully test it using a jumper wire between two of the pins. This is going to be an easier job than I expected!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back