Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

exporting S-parameters from HFSS to ADS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouchy

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss s2p

Hi all,

I am trying to export S parameter from HFSS to ADS. I tried using matrix data and export S parameter and save it as touchstone file. However, when I opened this file, I get S parameters mixed Y, Z and VSWR parameters. I would appreciate if someone can help

Thanks.

how to export s parameter file from hfss

I've never heard of such problem !

Please recheck it. The problem may be in ADS's side.

Note that if you want to export a parameterized S matrix (based on parameteric studies done in HFSS) you should try Ansoft Designer (ask about the Dynamic Link between Designer and HFSS).

Itai

Reactions: caoshuxun

bouchy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

caoshuxun

export s paramter from hfss to ads

Hi,
Only, you must check S-param in matrix data of HFSS and export a stouchstone file. it is very simple (you don't need any Dynamic Link)

Regards
KMPA

bouchy

ads with hfss

Dear
when exporting S-param in HFSS check the s,y,z box ...
it is easy#
good luck

hfss export s-parameter

yes using s matrix exporting to producing a S2p file ,then u can use Ads to silumation

from which place in HFSS is the option of exporting S-param data to touchstone to be used with ADS

hi everyone,

I tried to export my S-param as well, but it pops up a message saying that i have to renormalized to 50 ohm??
izzit because of i did de-embed??

You can do in two ways:
First method:
Plot all the S parameters (S11,S21,S12,S22) in magnitude and as well as in phase(deg). Right click on the graph and export data in .csv. Copy the data into a notepad file and add this extra line at the top of the data: #GHz S MA R 50
Note the frequency should be in GHz. And the order of S parameters should be
S11(mag), S11(deg),S21(mag),S21(deg), S12(mag),S12(deg),S22(mag),S22(deg)
and save the notepad file as .s2p (touchstone format). And open this file in ADS.

Second Method:
Instead of plotting, create a dataplot under reports in HFSS , in the same order mentioned above and follow the above procedure.

Let me know if you have any problems.

-sv

Sorry sv1437, but both methods are entirely wrong.
Use HFSS/Results/Solution Data/Matrix Data/Export Matrix Data and let HFSS renormalize the data. This is important, because the touchstone format has a fixed normalization impedance whereas the simulation correctly predicts a changing reference impedance vs frequency (and mode) (depending on simulation model).
Nevertheless, the consequences of using such a data item inside ADS have to be understood!

Sebastian

Reactions: kepter

kepter

Hi sibbi77,
I did a lot of simulations based on the methods I told. I used to follow the procedure to create a .s2p file and create a N-port model (in Ansoft Designer). And I got the same results with both the models.

I am not sure whether the same .s2p file works in ADS.

-sv

Dear sv1437,
the method is only (approximately) correct, if the characteristic line impedance of all the ports is (approximately) 50 Ohms (e.g. microstrip QTEM lines).
Refer to renormalized S-parameters in the HFSS help or the book "Microwave Engineering" from D. Pozar

Sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back