Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Export Interdigital filter from Microwave office to Altium

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctzof

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the procedure to export an interdigital filter that was designed with microwave office to Altium including the vias? There are similar topics in the forum but not for interdigital filters that include vias. Sorry I am new to this ( both altium and microwave office) and a more detailed explanation would be appreciated.

Obtain DXF output from Altium then import into AWR.

Yes this works but it´s just gives me a something like the shape of the filter which I´ll ´have later to fill with copper. Also the vias don´t appear on the layout. Can you give me a more detailed description cause maybe I am doing something wrong.

DXF isn't ideal for RF artwork because
- there is no "filled polygon" object in DXF, and one common workaround (zero width closed POLYLINE) isn't understood by all programs
- most PCB tools interpret DXF as mechanical drawings and don't know what to do with closed POLYLINEs

You better use Gerber (Extended Gerber RS274X). AWR can export that layout format. You will get one file per layer, and the vias will need some manual postprecessing to really tag them as PCB vias (place manually based on imported via layer drawing).

Last edited:

Yes this works but it´s just gives me a something like the shape of the filter which I´ll ´have later to fill with copper. Also the vias don´t appear on the layout. Can you give me a more detailed description cause maybe I am doing something wrong.
I misunderstood your request.
You need to transfer a layout from "Microwave Office" TO "Altium PCB" Right ??
It's easy..
On the Schematic View of Project Manager select "Export Layout" then select "Gerber" from file types and export your layout as a Gerber format.
At Altium side, open your PCB view and File-->Import-->Single Gerber File and that's it..

I misunderstood your request.
You need to transfer a layout from "Microwave Office" TO "Altium PCB" Right ??
It's easy..
On the Schematic View of Project Manager select "Export Layout" then select "Gerber" from file types and export your layout as a Gerber format.
At Altium side, open your PCB view and File-->Import-->Single Gerber File and that's it..

Thanks for the answer. I did what you wrote and the gerber files were successfully generated by Microwave office. The thing is that when I imported those gerbers to Altium pcb I couldn´t see anything. This method works with dxf files generated by Microwave office but I only get the shape of the filter which then has to be filled with copper. I want to import the exact filter including vias.

The thing is that when I imported those gerbers to Altium pcb I couldn´t see anything.

Gerber files are ASCII files. Look into the file and check if you have drawing objects (G01 line moves or G36/G37 filled areas) theres, or just the header lines with no drawing.

https://www.artwork.com/gerber/gbr_rip/gcode_support.htm

Once you know if the file is ok, you know if the issue is with Gerber export in AWR or Gerber import in Altium.

Last edited:

Attachments

• FILTER.rar
    1.1 KB · Views: 57

This are the files produced by the AWR

That file has the metal layer with the filter. Looks ok. Metal is represented by area fill (Gerber group code G36/G37). Altium should certainly be able to read this. Maybe a layer mapping wasn't right when you imported?

Note that vias are not included in the fileset that you sent. It only has one Gerber file => single layer.

Thanks for the answer. I did what you wrote and the gerber files were successfully generated by Microwave office. The thing is that when I imported those gerbers to Altium pcb I couldn´t see anything. This method works with dxf files generated by Microwave office but I only get the shape of the filter which then has to be filled with copper. I want to import the exact filter including vias.
I have tried to import your Gerber file into Altium PCB environment but no success.
I think only Camstatic can import Gerber files.Another way to import your structure is to convert into DXF but the shapes will be appeared as outlines only in this case.
If you combine a existing drawn PCB file with your filter, you may make it on a separate CAM session.For instance combining 2 separate Gerber files..

I have tried to import your Gerber file into Altium PCB environment but no success.
I think only Camstatic can import Gerber files.Another way to import your structure is to convert into DXF but the shapes will be appeared as outlines only in this case.
If you combine a existing drawn PCB file with your filter, you may make it on a separate CAM session.For instance combining 2 separate Gerber files..

Thanks this seem to be the only way. Actually I have previously succeed to enter a DXF file to Altium. I was looking for a way to insert this without filling those gaps and without have to put these vias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back