Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Explorer 16 development board problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumT

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
explorer 16 development board

I have a Explorer 16 development board from Microchip and blew the 3.3v regulator. The recommended supply to the board is 9-15v. The supply I was giving it was from a wall transformer that was suppost to be 12v, but was putting out a little over 16v. I’m thinking that the 3.3v regulator got to hot and blew because of the over voltage. The thing I don’t understand is that the microcontroller, a PIC24FJ128GA010, now has an internal short from Vdd to Vss. From my experience when a regulator goes out it doesn’t cause much damage beyond itself in the circuit. I have tested the board without the microcontroller installed and it seems fine. I was just wandering what some other peoples thoughts on what happened. I’m tiring to learn a lesson here so thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back