Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Explanation of sinusoid phase angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnetra

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sinusoidal phase angle

This link has a discussion on 'sinusoids.

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/mdft/Sinusoids.html

Midway thru the discussion, it states,

Since the sine function is periodic with period \[ 2\pi \], the initial phase \[ \phi \pm 2\pi\] is indistinguishable from \[ \phi\]. As a result, we may restrict the range of \[\phi\] to any length\[ 2\pi \] interval. When needed, we will choose

\[\displaystyle -\pi \leq \phi < \pi, \]

i.e., \[ \phi\in[-\pi,\pi)\]. You may also encounter the convention \[\phi\in[0,2\pi)\]

Why does it say \[\phi \in [-\pi,\pi)\] and not \[\phi \in [-\pi,\pi]\] ?

M

Last edited by a moderator:

phase angle

Hello!

It's probably a way to say that pi is not included, but -pi is.

Dora.

magnetra said:
This link has a discussion on 'sinusoids.

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/mdft/Sinusoids.html

Midway thru the discussion, it states,

Since the sine function is periodic with period \[ 2\pi \], the initial phase \[ \phi \pm 2\pi\] is indistinguishable from \[ \phi\]. As a result, we may restrict the range of \[\phi\] to any length\[ 2\pi \] interval. When needed, we will choose

\[\displaystyle -\pi \leq \phi < \pi, \]

i.e., \[ \phi\in[-\pi,\pi)\]. You may also encounter the convention \[\phi\in[0,2\pi)\]

Why does it say \[\phi \in [-\pi,\pi)\] and not \[\phi \in [-\pi,\pi]\] ?

M

sinusoid initial phase

That I got that part, -pi is included but pi isn't. I think i understand the reason for excluding pi.

Considering the general form [tex:3cf6c997bb]sin(\omega t + \phi)\]. When\[ \phi = -\pi\] our signal is \[sin(\omega t -\pi)\] and when\[ \phi = \pi\], the signal is \[sin(\omega t + \pi)\] which is equal to the previous signal \[sin(\omega t -\pi)\].

Hence the phase angle should be only in the range [-pi , pi) i.e pi need not be included, as when\[ \phi = \pi\] we are already back to the signal with \[ \phi = -\pi\]

I think I'm clear about this myself and made it clear for others too. :D

M

sinusoids phase

Clearly, the subtile details of interval definition should be considered in an exact mathematical presentation.
But I wonder, why you are presenting the discussion in the digital signal processing forum. Can you
give an example, where the difference matters for a real world signal processing problem?

finding phase angle of sinusoid

Hello!

Basically the difference does not matter.
But when you are implementing an algorithm, do you usually do the same
calculation twice?
I guess not. And most of the time you iterate from 0 to 255, 0 to 511, etc.
(i.e not from 0 to 256 or 512).
What concerns me more is why he asks the question if he knows the reply.
Was it a quiz?

Dora.

FvM said:
Clearly, the subtile details of interval definition should be considered in an exact mathematical presentation.
But I wonder, why you are presenting the discussion in the digital signal processing forum. Can you
give an example, where the difference matters for a real world signal processing problem?

how to find angles in sinusoids

Dora,
No it was not a quiz. At the time I posted the question, I was confused about it and hence was a 'question' for me. But after your first reply, I just realized the answer myself and hence explained it.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back