Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Explanation of PLL functionality and related math

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydaa

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I want to learn PLL functionality and related math. Pls, share with me if you have full conceptual understanding about PLL.

I know simple description as below but it is not sufficiently clear for me:

"Phase comparator" compares two signal, produces error voltage, "loop filter" eliminates unwanted parts, "VCO" produces reference signal.

Pls more if you have...

Best regards.

what does a pll do

it is a ALL-IN-ALL device as for communication domain is concerned..it can act as FM demodulator,frequency synthesiser and many more...

basically it is negative feedback mechanism

what does pll do

Therez lots of info on this Board itself.
Search for "PLL" or Phase Lock in the Books upload/download or IEEE study papers.

what does a pll do?

PLL is a more other system that ideally follows the phase of input signal (with null DC error in output of phase comparator) .

Almost situations the input signal is a square wave then there isn't the phase concept. Unless the square wave is understanded by output of a hard limiter when the input of this block is a sinusoidal signal.

Then PLL is a system that ideally follows the transitions/slope of input signal. But nobody think that this system is memoryless, then take some time (delay, group delay) to reach this accomodation.

PLL is like a bandpass filter tracking to the fundamental&impulsive tone of input signal.

Frequency Synth-->Inut-Phase Comparator with loop Filter + VCO+Frequency Divider
FM demodulator--> we use the error signal that enters in VCO
FM modulator --> we add to the error our signal (that enters in VCO), then we use the output of VCO

what pll do i have

i have two books about PLL if you need tell me

Regards

phase-locked loop fm modulator books

Hi..
Just check out this book " Phase Locked Loop - Design Simulation and Applications" by Ronald E Best..

regards

loop filter + pll + fm modulator

Hi...
PLL is most widely used in FM modulation and de-modulation...
3 basic parts...
a. VCO: generates a frequency based on a center frequency and can give a (limited) shift in frequency
b. Phase Comparator: Compares the input signal phase with the VCO generated signal and thus in turn generates an error voltage
c. Loop Filter: It rejects unwanted components (noise) so that the error voltage does not go beyond a certain maximum due to noise. In a sense it averages out the error voltage.

Hopt it helps...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back