Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

explain slew rate, rise, fall time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bala9383

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is slew rate ?

what is rise time and fall time?

thanx in advance

For my opinion, the links as given by KAK111 demonstrate that some information that can be found in the internet have to be treated with care (some are really "garbage").
In the documents I cannot find any argument how to distinguish between slew rate and rise time.Or did I overlook some hidden information?
For example, as far as analog amplifiers (opamps) are concerned, the definition and measurement of the slew rate is applicable for circuits with feedback only.
More than that, it requires large signal operation with the consequence that the rising edge of the input signal overdrives/saturates the first stage until the feedback action brings this stage back to normal (linear) operation.
The small signal risetime is applicable for small signals only that do not cause the effect as described above.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Rise Time:
Amount of time it takes the output voltage to go from 10% of the Logic "1" level to 90% of the Logic "1" level. Measured in nS.
Fall Time:
The time required for the output voltage to go from 90% of the Logic "1" level to 10% of the Logic "1" level. Measured in nS.

**broken link removed**

Slew is the transition time for signal. Transition time for input signal is called input slew and for output signal it is called output slew.

Important condition: Rise and fall time are for small signals only

Slew is the transition time for signal. Transition time for input signal is called input slew and for output signal it is called output slew.

Yadavvlsi, please can you explain your understanding of "transition time"?

As far as I'm aware of, transition time is sometimes used as a collective term for both rise- and falltime, but has no specific meaning besides them. If rise- and falltime are applied to digital signals, they don't exactly mean small signal.

The important point is however to distinguish betweeen small signal rise- and falltime and large signal slewing time (respectively slew rate) of an amplifier, as mentioned in post #3.

In high speed OP data sheets, you sometimes find rise- and falltime specified for large signal, which is strictly spoken a combination of small signal circuit speed and slew rate. This corresponds to the fact, that these quanties can be measured e.g with an oscilloscope, that doesn't care about small or large signal.

The question is placed in a digital forum. I agree, that slew rate isn't a usual term in digital circuit analysis. Nevertheless, digital output stages are involving analog effects, even a slew rate, that is created by transistor saturation currents and load capacitance. Also miller capacitance is present to some extent. To complete the confusion, some programmable logic devices are equipped ´with a "slow slew rate" option.

The question is placed in a digital forum..

Ohh, I didn't realize that. In this case - perhaps the question referres to digital circuits (however: slew rate?).

Without suggesting further detail discussions, just an example how the term slew rate is used in an Altera Cyclone III FPGA hardware handbook. The link to slew rate in analog circuits is in fact the assumption of a constant current driving the pin, similar to the slew rate achieved e.g. with an OTA. Although there are no current sources involved, the output transistors are operating in saturation for a larger part of the transition.

For ramp rates faster than 10 ns on I/O pins, |IIOPIN| is obtained with the equation
I = C dv/dt, in which C is the I/O pin capacitance and dv/dt is the slew rate.

slew rate= transition time, and both include the rise and fall times.

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

both represent rise & fall times, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back