Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Expereince in connecting Joytick PS2 to MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhutdtvt

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
joystick mcu

Hi there!
I have a project on MCU. I must connect the Joystick PS2 to MCU for controll signal.
The MCU is programed to interface with the Joystick to get the controll signal. The software works quite good. The problem is that I don't know why the Joystick PS2 is broken. I think the reason is my hardware. I use the buffers for the joystick's output connecting to the MCU. The power supply is right. I don't know what's happen!!!
If you have expereince in this case please help me!
Thank in advance!
Regards, Nhutdtvt

Try to check (with an oscilloscope) whether there is any activity on clock and data lines of the PS/2 port.
Each time you press a button or move the joystick there should be a string of pulses on both lines.
Also, PS/2 port provides +5V supply to these devices, check if the supply voltage is present at the right pin.
Here you will find pin allocation of the PS/2 connector:
http://www.ctips.com/ps2.html
Regards,
IanP

Hi IanP!
I have check the hardware clearly but I don't find any mistake!
I get the pinout of Joystick PS2 on this page:
https://pinouts.ru/data/playstation_9_pinout.shtml
The joystick which i used is Sony Playstation 2.
I wrote the assemble program for MCU to interface with it.
The code based on Signals description of this page.
And it work ok, but the Playstation Controller is usually broken.
I have replaced four times!!!!
The controller works for short time then it's broke....
Hope you could help me!!!
Regards, Nhutdtvt

Does your program drive the DATA and ACK high? The webpage you linked says they're open collector i/o and can only be low or high Z.

Hi Jonw0224!
I understand what you mean, but I have used the pull_up resistor for the two signals.
I post here for your view, these signals have the pull_up resistor and connect directly to MCU pins.

Have you ever use the PS2 in your applications?
Give me a help!!
Thanks a lot!
Nhutdtvt

Actually, I was asking if your microcontroller drives the pin high. If it drives the pin high when the joystick wants to drive low, you can blow out the i/o chips or the microcontroller. A couple of things you can do: (1) ensure the microcontroller doesn't drive the output high, but rather switches to a high impedance state, (2) use an open collector buffer between the microcontroller and the joystick (such as 7407 logic chip), or (3) place a resister between the microcontroller and the joystick.

I have never attempted to interface a MCU with a PS/2 joystick. I am merely guessing that this is the problem based on experiences I have had with and reading about open collector i/o.

Status
Not open for further replies.