Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Expected linearity of diff pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

exp

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Can anyone give me numbers from their experience of which linearity a plain diff pair in a modern process should be able to achieve?

Using a 28nm SOI process I built a simple diff pair with ideal current source loads and tail source (i.e., the output voltage is given by gm/gds). I am using pss and paq to measure IIP3 which is about -20dBm!!! (does not change significantly with different W and currents). This sounds suuuuuper low to me, I was hoping more for +20dBm ...

Thanks!

I think the standard definition for IIP3 is
The third-order intercept point relates nonlinear products caused by the third-order nonlinear term to the linearly amplified signal
(see e.g. here), so should be < 0 dB , isn't it?

I am talking about dBm ... so can be > 0.

For example, for a mixer (only) gives me +30dBm which is very good.

So I am asking mainly about your experiences and if -21dBm can really be true.

If it's easier I would also be happy with HD3 numbers + input amplitude because there is a relationship:

IIP3 = 30 - 10 log6R - 0.5 HD3 + 10 log vi^2

I am talking about dBm ... so can be > 0.
Ok, overseen, sorry! So you're talking about the IIP3 point, measured in power units.

For example, for a mixer (only) gives me +30dBm which is very good.
1W ≙ 7V @ 50Ω is rather extreme for a mixer, I'd say.

So I am asking mainly about your experiences and if -21dBm can really be true.
This would mean an intercept point at an output voltage of about 0.5V at an impedance of 25kΩ. Possible ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back