Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

exciting TE10 mode in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

r.bahl

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
te10 mode

Hi all .... i have to run a series a simulations (in HFSS) , starting with simulating a simple rectangular waveguide ... i have to excite only TE10 mode in the wave guide ... will giving only one integration line do the job ?
How does HFSS excite a waveport?
How can i prevent higher modes from propagating?
I will be grateful if somebody can help me out
Thanx in advance
Rohit Bahl

guys , somebody help me out !
thanx in advance
Rohit Bahl

hi r.bahl,
I think you should read HFSS_getting_start document first. There's an wave_guide simulation example there. You'll understand how to model a rectangular waveguide and to excite a wave port for rectangular waveguide in HFSS.
To prevent higher modes, just use only 1 mode when simulate with HFSS as soon as assigning wave port.
hope it helps.

Hi
thanx nhomuathu_hanoi
i have actually gone through that tutorial , but it wast very clear to me that how to prevent higher modes from propagating .... i have give only only integration line , will it do the job?????? can you explain me how does the integration line work?
like ,can a excite a waveport without an integration line?
Also , i have to introduce some dielectric structures , like a cylinder in the middle of the waveguide and study its effect, i think it will excite some higher modes ( the reflections from the dielectric cylinder i mean) ... how can i check if other modes r propagating or not?

I know ,I have too many questions in one post but i would really appreciate if you can help me out!
Thanx
Rohit Bahl

you can define multiple modes or a singular mode via the integration line you're describing. if you only allow one mode obviously dont worry about any others, if you allow for say 5 modes or so, then you can view s-parameters of the various modes.

thanx ghb
I then need to add a dielectric cylinder in the middle of the waveguide and study the effects on the fields ... how can i make some kind of graph in the variation of E fields from outside the cylinder and through it ??? i also think that the cylinder will propagate some higher modes( reflection from it) .. how can i see if thats happening or not?:?:
Thanx in advance
Rohit Bah

to view the fields i believe you need to describe or build planes along your structure, then select those planes and define as a field calculation.

in order to see if higher order modes are propagating, i suggest you tell hfss to allow x amount of modes to propagate (Define this in port properties), you can then view the various modes in port evaluation, then after discerning the various modes you can look at the s-parameters and determine if any are actually propagating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back