Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Examples where a Costas Loop is used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. von Rosenstein

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi colleagues,

we want to design a 802.11ad system and we have a discussion about the PLL in the receiver. I proposed a Costas Loop but my colleagues prefer a classic PLL with an crystal oscillator and frequency dividers and so on because this concept they know and they have never heard from Costas Loops. Therefore I am searching for examples, where Costas Loops are used in real products. Using google I found mostly block diagrams where a PLL is implemented, but no statement, what kind of PLL is used. I mean, a Costas Loop is actually also a PLL. Or not?

Can somebody cite me some real examples? Maybe with references? Does vendors use Costas Loops in GSM systems? DVB? UMTS? Something else?

Or has somebody a proposal for a more suitable PLL for a 802.11ad system?

Thank you!
Rosenstein

A costas loop is a specific solution to lock on a BPSK or QPSK modulated carrier.

Yes, I konw. But I have ideas, how I can also demodulate QAM using a Costas Loop.

The phase information of the QAM one can get in the same way as for QPSK. And the amplitude information one can extract between the first mixer and the "sign" component. Or, as an alternative, after the second mixer and before the opamp which generates the tuning voltage for the VCO.

I just want to push this thread because my question is still up to date:
Can anyone tell me some examples, where a Costas Loop is usually used?
And can anyone tell me which other circuits are commonly used for phase and frequency recovering in widely used digital data transfer systems? Like GSM, DVB, UMTS ect.?

Status
Not open for further replies.