Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Even-mode impedance and Odd-mode impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sv1437

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Am I right about the even and odd mode impedance:

" Even-mode impedance and Odd-mode impedance are used to simplify the circuit analysis and analyze the performance of the design. They are used only for simplification of the analysis, and do not practically exist."

Any clarification on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Am I right about the even and odd mode impedance:

" Even-mode impedance and Odd-mode impedance are used to simplify the circuit analysis and analyze the performance of the design. They are used only for simplification of the analysis, and do not practically exist."

Any clarification on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hard to say. Under certain excitation condition for some cases, you may be able measure them. They are still impedances -just under certain special excitations. That is just my two-cent opinion.

They are mathematical expressions to calculate the characteristic impedances of coupled structures such as coupled lines,symmetrical structures etc.
For more information see "Modern microwave circuits,Kinayman, Noyan,ISBN 1-58053-725-1"
But they are measurable with modern VNAs with 4 ports.

Reactions: cnm

cnm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
When you work with differential lines, even and odd mode impedance are real and relevant.

you can read the Wilkinson Power Divider analysis in Pozar's Microwave Engineering book.

Status
Not open for further replies.