Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Evaluation Hardware for Xilinx Virtex 2 or spartan

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlulani

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,
Here I am working on the design of some DSP algorithms,
as an initiative i have designed a simple Ist order low pass filter IIR filter, the functional verification and simulation results are done well thoroughly using MATLAB and Testbench development.
the actual code is also synthesizable (successfully)
Target Device : x2v80
Target Package : fg256
Target Speed : -6
though the target chosen has much more capability then the required for this particular code, but because my aim is to design more complicated DSP algorithms so i have chosen this target: a look at the map report :
Design Summary
--------------
Number of errors: 0
Number of warnings: 0
Logic Utilization:
Number of Slice Flip Flops: 29 out of 1,024 2%
Number of 4 input LUTs: 60 out of 1,024 5%
Logic Distribution:
Number of occupied Slices: 38 out of 512 7%
Number of Slices containing only related logic: 38 out of 38 100%
Number of Slices containing unrelated logic: 0 out of 38 0%
*See NOTES below for an explanation of the effects of unrelated logic
Total Number 4 input LUTs: 60 out of 1,024 5%

Number of bonded IOBs: 47 out of 120 39%
IOB Flip Flops: 45
Number of MULT18X18s: 3 out of 8 37%
Number of GCLKs: 1 out of 16 6%

so its clear that the same target is much more capable then its power utilised here

now i need to verify my results on a hardware, so i would like to hear from anyone who can tell me the best possible hardware available for verification with obviosuly ADC and DAC on boards.
please reply me with some economic solution for my problem
thanks and best wishes
Nitin Lulani

Hi nitin....
probably u can see Stratix DSP development kit and also XILINX Xtreme DSP development kit. The prices i am not quite sure about but all the related information about these u can get on the respective websites of Altera and Xilinx. Just check out and let us know.
regards,
puneet

You can check out the following links:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I am not sure 'bout the cost but they provide good stuff.

Hi..
one thing i forgot to tell u. I worked on a Stratix DSP development kit provided by altera. But there was a problem that the A/D converter in that would sample signal only above 1MHz freq. So beware if u want to work in audio freq range. Coz i had trouble handling that then. Then if u put external A/D converter then there is problem of different logic levels as the I/O's of stratix does not support 5V TTL. So analyze first your requirements and then try n select the correct board. Probably u can call up the distributors also they will give good info. Thanx...
puneet

Hi Puneet,
great help from your side..
actually earlier i was really not aware of the problems which u also faced but now i will be able to put my specifications in a better way.
i also think that it would be better to have external A/D because in that case i will be able to chose appropriate sample rate
thanks and best wishes
Nitin

Hi nitin...
it is not required to choose or put an external A/D simply. Regarding the sampling rate u can always generate that from the FPGA master crystal oscillator. Because in this case u r saving some external connections that u may hav to do with jumpers, as the A/D output pins need to be connected to some I/O port of the FPGA board.

So do not jump to conclusions, thats why i told pls analyse first the requirements and then decide. Any further help u can always contact me. Thanx

nlulani

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back