Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet to serial RS232 Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Rashad

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there any device available which can convert Ethernet Data into 2 different RS232 port ? If no how can we design ? Port 1 is 8080, Port 2 is 1020 !

Is there any device available which can convert Ethernet Data into 2 different RS232 port ?

Yes. These devices are commonly known as a Router.

There are numerous manufactures of TCP/IP Routers, Cisco Systems being one. Although the use of RS-232 Serial Interfaces have for the most part been replaced, with higher speed serial interfaces, such as V.35, more appropriate for connections to CSU/DSU serial devices, there are still models available which offer routeable RS-232 interfaces with PPP or SLIP Protocols .

If no how can we design ? Port 1 is 8080, Port 2 is 1020 !

There are numerous Open Source Embedded Linux Router designs available on the NET which offer sufficient routing capabilities to achieve your requirements.

BigDog

I remember, that e.g. Moxa serial device servers can be set to arbitrary TCP ports of your choice.

FvM brings up a good point. Several manufactures of terminal/console servers offer chipsets which are designed specifically to provide the features you described.

I just took a quick look at a Lantronix development kit sitting on one of my shelves, which has a single 100Base-T Port, two RS-232 Serial Ports and the ability to be configured route packets with a specific port number to one or other RS-232 Serial Ports.

You may want to look for a "canned" module from Lantronix or Moxa as FvM suggested.

BigDog

You can take a look at MatchPort from Lantronix.
The follow are some information regarding the module.

https://www.pic-control.com/product/pic-014_MatchPort_UG.pdf
https://www.pic-control.com/product/pic-014_MatchPort_IG.pdf

FvM brings up a good point. Several manufactures of terminal/console servers offer chipsets which are designed specifically to provide the features you described.

I just took a quick look at a Lantronix development kit sitting on one of my shelves, which has a single 100Base-T Port, two RS-232 Serial Ports and the ability to be configured route packets with a specific port number to one or other RS-232 Serial Ports.

You may want to look for a "canned" module from Lantronix or Moxa as FvM suggested.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.