Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Ethernet MAC implementation using Virtex-5 TEMAC confusion regarding MAC address

Status
Not open for further replies.

melexia

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am implementing Trimode Ethernet MAC available in Xilinx Virtex5 device.
By my information MAC address is is hardwired and device specific, also we can not change devices MAC address, but when we configure TEMAC using Xilinx core generator it gives us to change data of its add filter which by my understanding is its MAC address.
Is it write, I mean can we change TEMACs MAC add like this only?

Please Help,
I am confused.................

sure. The MAC address is intended to be unique though. However, there are times when a MAC (device) will want to listen to traffic going to other MAC addresses (eg, a switch, or "promiscuous mode"), or will want to advertise another MAC address (switch, or "mac spoofing"). An FPGA can be used for these applications.

Hell, you can change MAC on regular boring NICs. And with an FPGA you can definitely plug in whatever MAC address you want. At the very least it certainly is not tied to any specific fpga hardware. So with fpga IP you can just give in any adress that makes sense for your design. Just make sure you don't get any MAC address collisions on your network. ;-)

what i think is u should buiy an ethernet module ...... as hardware connection is really a big issue in such circuits ..... after buying module u just need to do coding which i think is not a big issue ..... check this one **broken link removed**

Except that the OP mentions trimode ethernet, so presumably he also need gigabit. On the ENC28J60 no such luck...

hey, thanks for reply, my confusion is cleared now

If you're intending to sell your product, you will need to buy an allocation of MAC addresses from the IEEE. For development, you can use anything you want as long as it is unique, though you should also avoid multicast or broadcast addresses unless you are developing multicast or broadcast applications. Have a look at the IANA Ethernet number assignment.

thanks, you really shared important information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back