Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESR meter project from Nuova Elettronica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ESR Meter

Thanks a lot Kripton and Haran. I think it is clear how to calibrate.
Haran, I understand your remark about compairing good and bad capacitors. That is of course the most important function. But the reading is very accurate, so I do want to make it as precise as possible (I know it is a tick of me...).

One question about the 4066. I also saw a design of Elektor (Combi-C-Meter in sept. 2005) and they state that it is better to use a high speed version (HC4066). This to avoid unwanted reactance (or half it). Any thoughts about that?
Disadvantage of that meter for me is that you have to switch between C and ESR measurements.

Rob,Well I haven’t tried yet with 74HC4066 chip and I don’t think so you’ll see a Significant Changes by using 74HC4066 maybe not. I’m happy with CD4066. The device is fast quick display showing ESR & Capacitance.

Actually both chips are same price here in Canada. Two for a dollar if I get a chance I’ll try and let you know the feedback.

As far as I know Go ESR is the best complete open source available and smart people could tweak the ASM file Also comparing to Peak Atlas ESR I’m happy with the outcome and quick results. My buddy owns a Peak Atlas he’s surprised with this unit

Haran

Last edited:

Rob,Well I haven’t tried yet with 74HC4066 chip and I don’t think so you’ll see a Significant Changes by using 74HC4066 maybe not. I’m happy with CD4066. The device is fast quick display showing ESR & Capacitance.

Actually both chips are same price here in Canada. Two for a dollar if I get a chance I’ll try and let you know the feedback.

As far as I know Go ESR is the best complete open source available and smart people could tweak the ASM file Also comparing to Peak Atlas ESR I’m happy with the outcome and quick results. My buddy owns a Peak Atlas he’s surprised with this unit

Haran

Hi Haran,

Ah, nice to hear about the Peak Atlas and Go ESR comparison. I was also impressed by the Peak, but understand now that the performance is (nearly) the same. In that case the Go ESR is more fun becuase I have to build it and its cheaper.
I understood that with a HC4066 the meter is more accurate, not necessarely faster. Indeed price is not the issue, I was just wondering if you guys thought of it. Don't make too much fuzz about it, I also can try for myself.
Still I am more then you in favour to build a meter that I can trust on the read-out (Capacitance and ESR value) instead of compare bad and good cap's.
I have experience in electronics (mostly analogue), but now I also have to learn to deal with PIC's and loading a file into the device. Already bought a PIC Programmer. Maybe I also will deep-dive into the software. One project leads to another one ;-)
Still glad with your experience and remarks.

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Rob.

hi,
the elektor c-esr meter uses a different method than the go esr meter
elektor needs a fast chopped switch, and a high speed chip can gives better results
go esr uses a constant current method, and the 4066 is here only to switch measure between current and voltage, dont need speed for it
I dont think a faster 4066 chip will improve the result, but only a real test can tell us the truth...

also
the peak esr meter has a fine feature : it discharges the capacitor before measuring if needed
the go esr doesnt have it, but the peak is so far more expensive that I prefer also the go esr meter !!!!

regards,

If you’re focusing 1uf capacitor with 10uf, it’ll read 1uf exact 1uf and 10uf it’ll read 12.xxx or 8.xxx but just for the sake of calibration just play with it you’ll see what I meant.

Hi Haran,

Electrolytics are having a huge tolerance. So, if you calibrated with a 1uF cap and try later a 10uF cap, I am sure the reading is between 8 and 12uF. But is that because the meter is not that accurate or is it because the values of the caps you used are not compared with another meter (so, exact value unknown)?

Regards, Rob.

hi,
the elektor c-esr meter uses a different method than the go esr meter
elektor needs a fast chopped switch, and a high speed chip can gives better results
go esr uses a constant current method, and the 4066 is here only to switch measure between current and voltage, dont need speed for it
I dont think a faster 4066 chip will improve the result, but only a real test can tell us the truth...

also
the peak esr meter has a fine feature : it discharges the capacitor before measuring if needed
the go esr doesnt have it, but the peak is so far more expensive that I prefer also the go esr meter !!!!

regards,

Hi Kripton,

Yes, you are fully right. My mistake. Indeed it is in case of the Go-ESR no problem to use the normal 4066. The Elektor version is indeed using another method en also can measure smaller caps.
So, I am still doubting. :???:

Regards, Rob.

So, if you calibrated with a 1uF cap and try later a 10uF cap, I am sure the reading is between 8 and 12uF. But is that because the meter is not that accurate or is it because the values of the caps you used are not compared with another meter (so, exact value unknown)?
QUOTE]
Hi,
I have calibrated my ESR-C the "hardware" way and the readings are the same every time. Readings below 100uF are smaler than reality. For example:47uF - reading is 45uF, 4,7uF - reading is 4,3; 2,2uF - reading is 1,9uF; 1uf - reading is 0,7uF; 0,47uF - reading is 0,3uF.
The readings are the same every time for the same value and same manufacturer.
After few dozens of readings I know what a good cap and a bad cap look like. From my point of view, this device is the most "accurate" device ever. You know why? Because with this device you can tell which cap is good and which cap is bad without geting out of circuit.

Hi ,
often break the hex file of the PIC and must be rewritten !!! what can be done to avoid this inconvenience .... has happened to someone ?
Costas

Last edited:

may be you have a broken pic ??? I've never seen that...
and the pic 16f876 is unable to reprogram itself so ...
have you tried another pic ?
regards,

yet this happens, I built several more GO-ESR with diferent series of PIC's 873, 876 SMD, DIP and each of the series often have rewritten the dump, becouse no longer capacity measured correctly or at all or show for any capacity ESR = 000 , although 1 and 10 ohm resistance to measure correctly. The problem apper when I restart the device , only way to fixit is to rewrite the PIC dump . So something is happens I don't know what !!!

Costas

Hi,
Mine work great.
What component do you have in common in all devices? Did you buy like 100 resistors or capacitors of same tipe? Maybe you have one defective series of one or more components. If you do have components in common, than change the manufacturer of those components.
I hope this works.
Good luck.

I do not see the connection is between passive components and dump! The problem occurs randomly, it works well for months
and suddenly after a restart not show correctly , after rewriting dump everything is OK...!!!

Costas

Well, I don't see a connection between passive components or other active components and dump. You have several C-ESR-meter with different PIC's so you have to find the common elements of all ESR-meters who have the same problem and eliminate those elements. The dump is OK so this common element is out of the question. It works fine for me since february 2011.
So, you have to do a step by step diagnosis.

I made a series of esr of Russian sites and managed without difficulty 421159_361273380549360_100000001024659_1461180_1778177438_n.jpg

The project of Go is discussed here. And there are a lot of valuable information on calibration. Read the comments of Ruslan!
VRTP -> ESR

And here is another project for measuring the L-C-ESR.
It is very interesting! Read the comments of Ruslan!
VRTP -> L/C/R/ESR meter PIC16F690

Yes, I also visited the site, so complex. I'm very pleased with the openness of the source

After I calibrated the circuit is only half the resistance value is displayed. What am I doing wrong?

How did you calibrate ?
Try to replace the TL431.

I have the test leads with a 1 Ohm resistor bridge.
When calibrated as described in the manual, I come with a 1 ohm resistor only to max. 0.5 Ohm.
the Tl431 i have replace.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

I have the test leads with a 1 Ohm resistor bridge.
When calibrated as described in the manual, I come with a 1 ohm resistor only to max. 0.5 Ohm.
the Tl431 i have replace.

first SET to zero, then calibrate for 1 ohm then calibrate for 10 ohm. But first SET to Zero.

I made the adjustment at 0 ohms (zero).
Then I have a 1 ohm resistor clamped.
It is not possible for me to adjust the display to 1 ohm.

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

I made the adjustment at 0 ohms (zero).
Then I have a 1 ohm resistor clamped.
It is not possible for me to adjust the display to 1 ohm.

Status
Not open for further replies.