Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESR meter project from Nuova Elettronica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone try **broken link removed** (Silicon Chip ESR & low resistance Meter, published February 2005) ?

Also, are there any more designs of LCR-ESR meters that are add-ons to DMM?

you can find L-only or C-only or ESR-only that are add on to dmm
but I've never seen an LCR or LCR-ESR meter without its proper display.
anyway the display is not the more difficult to implement after the meter !

To tell you "the best" free DIY meter on Internet is RLC-2 **broken link removed** .
But that project is for sure not for beginners :!:
His previous project (same author -GO) was **broken link removed**
Also very advanced meter. And this **broken link removed** was his very first project. Very decent meter.
There are some other his projects **broken link removed**

As for R2-D2 meters, they are all nice and accurate, I've made all of them. But now they are not "the latest" - his newer version recently came out - **broken link removed**
(and I'm one of his co-authors ;-)).
Also, depending on your skills, you may also take a look at other nice projects - **broken link removed**
It may seems tricky because of all those language barriers, but well, I managed to figure out Hungarian project... :-D

Good links there :).

you can find L-only or C-only or ESR-only that are add on to dmm
but I've never seen an LCR or LCR-ESR meter without its proper display.
anyway the display is not the more difficult to implement after the meter !

Yeah, ulitmately, all of these are being so small these days that they can be put into one unit.

I have reduced the choices to Oleg Go C-ESR Meter, and if there is a way of DIYing the programming, the remaining details of many commercial ones like Blue, EVB, etc are also very available.

It really looks nice! Are there any plans to increase the ESR frequency to 100khz or faster?
Nice job!

Which one you're talking about? ;-) Some of them were designed specifically for in-circuit testing without desoldering, what why they are not 100KHz versions, more like as "constant current meters" (100KHz is not suitable for precise in-circuit measurements). Mentioned last on the list "Hungarian meter" is working at frequency of about 85 KHz (which is close enough to 100). There are some newer designs ideas of 100KHz of RLC-3 meter **broken link removed** , but so far I haven't seen it completed.

- - - Updated - - -

I have reduced the choices to Oleg Go C-ESR Meter, and if there is a way of DIYing the programming...
What the problem with DIY programming? You can use any decent (including DIY) programmers to program the CPU.
If you're going to do some other projects with PIC controllers in the future, you may consider buying one of decent programmers for PICs (PICKit2, or PICKit3). There are plenty of them on E-Bay or online electronic shops.

yep the "chicken and egg" is still there ...
I remember programming my first pic on a breadboard with serial link to computer to make ... my first pic programmer !
it was a 16f84, I'm not sure this method could work for a 16f876 ...

What the problem with DIY programming? You can use any decent (including DIY) programmers to program the CPU.
If you're going to do some other projects with PIC controllers in the future, you may consider buying one of decent programmers for PICs (PICKit2, or PICKit3). There are plenty of them on E-Bay or online electronic shops.

I meant about reverse engineering the code of commercial ones like EVB, Blue, etc.

it will be easier to make your own esr meter than reverse engineer the blue esr meter ...
take less time, in a way cheaper.

Re: russia esr meter

I intended to make the Oleg-GO meter, but could not get all the components. Out of the to-try list, I could get all the components for the Silicon Chip 2005 one, but it's not tuning up at all. It's still on the bread board and not responsive to being calibrated. The DMM I'm using to tune this set up is picking up all odd frequencies from around. :lol:

Next in list will be this if I can get the components:

Components:

R1=1K5
R2,R3,R4,R5=10K
R6=68K
R7=4K7
R8=12K
R9,R11=1K-1%
R10,R12=22-1%
R13,R14=1K
R15,R16,R17=47K
R18=15K
R19=680
R20=2K2
R21=20K TRIMMER

C1,C2=1 microF electrolytic
C3=1NF POLY
C4=100NF POLY
C5,C6=1microF POLY
DS1,DS2=1N4007
DS3=1N4148
DL1=LED
TR1,TR3=BC547
TR2=BC557
IC1=TL084
S1=SWITCH

:D

I had seen the meter price 2 million Baths (>600,000 dolars), that must tune in standard room. There are various source of error in outworld.

I did on bread board the Nuova Elettronica ESR meter based on the schematics and data as on this site: https://www.qsl.net/iz7ath/web/02_brew/15_lab/06_esr/index.htm

I'm using a DMM to measure the current. Funny things happening as usual. :lol:

I put any resistor across the DUT leads, it lights the LED. If I leave the terminals open, the DC current still measures the max on the DMM. 20 kΩ trimmer ie R21 at max resistance gives ~160 µAmp DC.

The frequency is 120 kHz, and the voltage at the DMM terminals is ~3.8V DC.

Any hints/ pointers that can throw light on what could be happening? :cool:

Last edited:

R drop nearly short circuit(power circuit), This R call Reluctant than Resistor where AC source applied. Topology of circuits required to test some idea in HF design, Smith Chart is very role on against white noise etc.

Last edited:

I did on bread board the Nuova Elettronica ESR meter based on the schematics and data as on this site: https://www.qsl.net/iz7ath/web/02_brew/15_lab/06_esr/index.htm

I'm using a DMM to measure the current. Funny things happening as usual. :lol:

I put any resistor across the DUT leads, it lights the LED. If I leave the terminals open, the DC current still measures the max on the DMM. 20 kΩ trimmer ie R21 at max resistance gives ~160 µAmp DC.

The frequency is 120 kHz, and the voltage at the DMM terminals is ~3.8V DC.

Any hints/ pointers that can throw light on what could be happening? :cool:

Found that I connected pin 10 instead of pin 9. Fixed now. :D

I think in commercial world call the ESR meter that the SD meter(Standard Deviation), The scope be manage by occupy.

- - - Updated - - -

I think in commercial world call the ESR meter that the SD meter(Standard Deviation), The scope be manage by occupy.

Hi all,

I want to build this circuit from Nuiva Elettronica.
Have already an etched board from the link above (helion's post). I am wondering if this circuit works with LM324, has someone tested it yet?

Thanks

yes almost any opamp will do an lm324 is ok
you don't need an etched board, you can do it on a simple veroboard

Status
Not open for further replies.