Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD protection for I/O of Shift Registor

Prabhakarankft

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone!
I have a Microcontroller Board to control some relays(Around 80 - 120 Numbers) with the help of CD4094 . Relay driver board is separate and it is 5 Meter in distance from the Microcontroller Board..
Now I have to send data to Shift registers-CD4094 which are 5 meters away from the Microcontroller Board. What is the best way to send data in such situations .

Kindly give me your best ideas to get error free solution!

MCU IO Pins @3V3-----> 74HC541(Buffer IC) ----------------------------5 Meter Shielded Cable------------------------------->74HC541(Buffer IC)-->CD4094-->Relay driver parts(ULN2803)

I have much confusions on my mind.

1. If we use lengthy cables it will act as a Antenna! If yes what are all the precautions to do?

2. ESD protection for CD4094 IC. MCU is working at 3.3V. Logical signal are feed to the 8 Core shielded Cable. Any surge may appear at the CD4096 End??

3.I plan to use Buffer ICs on both ends to receive(Relay Board) and send data from the MCU. Reason to use buffers,it resists ESD.
Great suggestions are appreciated. I am ready to correct the errors!

Last edited:
Don't worry about machine model ESD. You are not dealing with a
unconnected part sliding down a test handler chute.

If you want to worry yourself over threats, the threat is going to be
more like some of those newer powered system ESD standards
(like your HDMI port driver lives a life of danger, compared to
handling-ESD, which is all you get told generally - only some parts
call out the active ESD performance when it's an application
selling point. Like zeroing out warranty returns for that cause).

Don't choose #4 first . That leads to sub-optimal designs.
It is perfectly cool.. I Will Give a clear documentation about the project !! Since I am into initial planning Ideas may change as per the forum suggestions! Any how I will try to give a clear picture about my application requirement..
--- Updated ---

Don't worry about machine model ESD.
This news is very comforting..To be honest undesrtanding ESD related stuff is too hard. Whenever We study about that Mind voice says "It is boring..." since not having any previous experience
--- Updated ---

Now there are optocouplers! The first time ... we are at post#18 and you refuse to draw a simple sketch. But bring new informations piece by piece.

I´m not playing this game. I´m out
Stay cool! I Will come up with enough details

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back