Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD problem on 16X2 lcd

Status
Not open for further replies.

sri5496

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

In one of my projects i was using a 16X2 lcd display(https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lcd-...5522677633D4E4F4E45267573743D3732303032303726) with atmega 328 micro, its failing in ESD test at 2kv and 4kv, its not resetting the micro controller but the screen goes gibberish, it seems like the data lines from micro or getting effected, it would be great if you guys can help me out for any possible fixes

thanks in advance:).

As without your Pcb or Hardware snaps hard to tell.But you can try to cover your data and control lines tracks or wires with silver foil paper.That might solve the problem you are facing.

thanks would try them and would let you know.

If these are standard EMC tests, and your processoer is not resetting, you will fix this with a refresh of the screen at intervals. If you always refresh your display every couple of seconds, or at least every 5 seconds, you will not fail the EFT test or the surge test. When you refresh you should also initiate the LCD at intervals. The best is to do it at every refresh, Remember not to clear the display, since this will blank it, just rewrite the setup and the contents, and the refresh will be invisible.

The problem with LCDs is the big metal frame on the display, and the high impedance of the electronics in the diplay. This creates a big capacitor to other metal parts influenced by the spikes from the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back