Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD in silicon integrated circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmot.liu

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Help for ESD Protect

I want to learn ESD protecting and I/O for cmos analog circuit. Are there any books and papers introduced about these?

Thank you !!

Re: Help for ESD Protect

search in this forum..

a taiwan professor website has a good esd lecture.

[1] S. Dabral and T. Maloney, Basic ESD and I/O Design. Santa Clara, CA: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 1998.
[2] A. Amerasekera and C. Duvvury, ESD in silicon integrated circuits – second edition: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2002.
[3] A. Z. H. Wang, On-chip ESD Protection for Integrated Circuits an IC design perspective: Kluwer Academic 2002.
[4] M. D. Ker, "ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) Protection in CMOS Integrated Circuits," http://www.ics.ee.nctu.edu.tw/~mdker/ESD/index.html.
[5] S. H. Voldman, ESD: Circuits and Device: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2006.
[6] S. H. Voldman, ESD: Physics and Device: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2006.
[7] S. H. Voldman, ESD: RF Technology and Circuits: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2006.
[8] P. Leroux and M. Steyaert, "LAN-ESD Co-Design for Fully Integrated CMOS Wireless." vol. 843 Springer Netherlands, 2005
[9] K.Esmark, H. Gossner, and W. Stadler, Advanced simulation methods for ESDprotection development. Amsterdam; Boston: Elsevier, 2003.
[10] O. Semenov, H. Sarbishaei, and M. Sachdev, ESD Protection Device and Circuit Design for Advanced CMOS Technologies, 2008.
2 3 4 is recommend

Help for ESD Protect

There are a lot of post on this topic on EDA board.

Example:

I recomend downloading:ESD in silicon integrate circuits

I find this topic a very common discussion thread, and since everyone here has pretty much covered all the main works I will offer these opinions.

From paulsong08 list above (since he pretty much listed all the main books that are published)

#1: Maloney and Dabral...excellent beginner book, probably the most practical book "to start designing esd" that you will find on the market. It is a little light in physics theory of ESD devices, but that is what makes it probably the best introductory book on ESD published. To boot, the IO design sections are very practical and useful also, better than any of the other books here.
I strongly recommend this book for beginners.

#2: Duvvury and Amersekera...This is the industry default handbook. Probably the most read and well known out there. The theory is solid, relatively in-depth and reasonably practical...not nearly as beginner friendly as #1 but a well written book that can give the reader a solid understanding of the physics behind ESD, some history of ESD and a good base for ESD design, particularly snapback based approaches. I have enjoyed this book quite a bit.

#3: Wangs book is a mixed-bag...I think its a good book but it tries to do too much in to little. It attempts to cover theory in-depth while keeping the writing practical and short, which does not help the overall effort. Beginners may get a little confused by it, but more experienced ESD designers can probably pick up some useful techniques that they may not have been exposed to before. This book has a few uncommon design approaches. There are some techniques he touts that I disagree with, but there is still merit to studying them, and he presents them well enough. Not my favorite on the list but worth a read if you have time to spare.

#4: Ming Dou Kers, I have not read his book, but he has published most of his stuff in many of the journals. If the book follows his papers, I would expect it to be similar to #2 in content and the writing style closer to #3

5,6 & 7: Voldman's books; I like his books, but I think Steve's writing style is very much a subject for advanced ESD designers. His theory and physics in these works are great and exceptionally thorough in some cases, and the books are excellent references, but beginners will be lost.

Books 8,9 and 10 I have not read, and do not know the authors that well, with the exception of Harold Gossner (#9) who I have the utmost respect for as an ESD engineer so I imagine that book is probably very good and useful. I have also read several excerpts by the authors of #8 and imagine it is a good book as well. They have a good understanding of performance ESD design for high-speed and rf circuits so the book is most likely very useful as an advanced study.

Finally I recommend finding papers by Jim Miller (James Miller) of Freescale, and members of his team. Most of his papers can be found in ESDA/EOS symposium proceedings. He has not published a book, but his work covers active clamp design, which in this list of authors, only Tim Maloney could boast as much experience with. No ESD introduction/study would be complete without examining some of Freescales Active clamp work.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back