Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD diodes: do they need any guardring ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoYouLinux

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
esd guard ring

Hi all,

I am trying to design my own ESD protection pads using two basic diodes. Do I need to place any guardring close to the diodes. My diodes are Nwell diodes.

Thank you very much

DYL

esd double diode esd substrate connection

You need the guard ring to prevent latch-up problem.

need of guard ring

Thanks a lot, Fom and hung wai ming :)

By the way, for the guard ring, should it be the "P-tap" connected to the "Ground" ?

how+guard+rings+help+in+esd

usually for ESD device, you need guard ring, and some times even double guardring for two reason:
1. guard ring with enough contact and metal connection can help distribute ESD zapping current, sometimes current flows more through the guardring than from the substrate.
2. isolate the noise introduced by the diode under normal operation, since IO signal may easily have negative glitch, and will introduce noise into substrate without guardring the collect the carrier current.

but the distance of double guardring need to be controlled well since it can easily form a collateral npn transistor. and without enough conatct or strong metal power bus on top of metal ring, it will be less effective.

Reactions: Imello

Imello

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
guard ring esd diodes

Thank you very much, mdcui :)

For double guarding, you mean, one is "p-sub" contact connected to ground and the other one is "n-well" contact connected to Vdd, right ? If so, for the latter one, I need to draw N-well all around the diodes and connect the N-well to Vdd. Am I correct ?

back to back diodes in esd

i think u r correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back