Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD CDM protection principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

junsik

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I wonder how ESD protection circuits work in CDM stress.
CDM stress has two different polarities.
When negative CDM stress that is the substrate is charged negatively, the CDM current come in from the external ground. it is similar with general ESD like HBM. I can understand the principle of GGNMOS, SCR and Diode in this case.

However, when the substrate is charged positively, the CDM waveform flows from inner circuit (substrate) to external ground and cause damage on gate oxide. I can't understand how the positive CDM stress can be handled using ESD protection devices. pn junction of diode is used?
What is the general CDM protection devices and circuit???

Thank you.

... I can understand the principle of GGNMOS, SCR and Diode in this case.

However, when the substrate is charged positively, the CDM waveform flows from inner circuit (substrate) to external ground and cause damage on gate oxide. I can't understand how the positive CDM stress can be handled using ESD protection devices. pn junction of diode is used?
What is the general CDM protection devices and circuit???

(GGN)MOSFETs (and also SCRs, probably) have manufacture-caused anti-parallel diodes, which limit to their forward voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.