Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD and Latch Up protected Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

krrao

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
If I have a inverter connected directly my pad, then how do I layout this inverter protecting from ESD and Latch Up issues ? please explain in details.

consider for example W/L of PMOS = 200/0.5 amd W/L of NMOS = 75/0.5.
--
warm regards,
krrao.

according to the size of the inverter you give, i assume this is an output inverter buffer, it is the drain connect to the pad. so the drain is ESD sensitive node.
there are two methods to prevent ESD.
1. layout the PMOS and NMOS device as ESD device (use SAB layer at the drain side), and you should add more explicit ggnmos and gdpmos ESD devices to meet the total ESD area requirement according to design rule check.
2. or you can simply add current limiting resistors between pad and output of the inverter with explicit ESD devices.
in the second way, you dont have to layout the inverter devices as ESD device so that silicon area is saved.

for LU issue, just add double guardring. dont put PMOS and NMOS too close, DRC can help you to check it.

according to the size of the inverter you give, i assume this is an output inverter buffer, it is the drain connect to the pad. so the drain is ESD sensitive node.
there are two methods to prevent ESD.
1. layout the PMOS and NMOS device as ESD device (use SAB layer at the drain side), and you should add more explicit ggnmos and gdpmos ESD devices to meet the total ESD area requirement according to design rule check.
2. or you can simply add current limiting resistors between pad and output of the inverter with explicit ESD devices.
in the second way, you dont have to layout the inverter devices as ESD device so that silicon area is saved.

for LU issue, just add double guardring. dont put PMOS and NMOS too close, DRC can help you to check it.

Hi prcken,

You said layout the PMOS & NMOS as ESD devices. I am new to ESD layouts, will you please explain the 1st method elobarately.

--
warm regards,
krrao.

do you have ESD design rule provided by the foundry?
that document explains how to draw these MOS based ESD devices with minimum dimensions required according to the process you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back