Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Error while installing Cadence IC-5.0 lnx-86 on Mandriva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith11

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to install Cadence IC-5.0 lnx-86 on my laptop which has Mandriva Powerpack 2007 running on it. I have had this same version of Cadence working on Mandrake 9.2, but I had other issues with Madrake 9.2 so I decided to switch to a newer version, Mandriva Powerpack 2007. I assumed if Cadence worked on Mandrake 9.2, it should work on Mandriva Powerpack too, but apparently that doesn't seem true. I start the installation by running "./SETUP.SH" but as you will see in the following code that I am pasting here it fails to run "softload" after ./SETUP.SH.

Specify path of install directory \c
[OR type [RETURN] to exit]: \c
/cadence

Directory /cadence does not exist. Create? [y/n]: \c
y

Creating directory /cadence
\c

Setting up softload for lnx86 in /cadence
\c

The following tar errors were detected:
\c
/bin/tar: Removing leading `/' from member names

Could not set up SoftLoad in /cadence\c

You must have write permissions to install directory \c
and all its subdirectories
and atleast 10 MB available disk \c
space in install directory.
\c

So I went to the directory /cadence/install/bin.lnx.86/ and ran ./softload from there. When I run softload and reach to the point of specifying where the cdrom's are mounted, the installation runs a little further and then stops giving an error code as follows:

Type the CD-ROM mount point: [ /cdrom ] /mnt/cdrom

/cadence/install/bin.lnx86/io_fltr: relocation error: /cadence/install/bin.lnx86/io_fltr: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
dd: I/O error
./softload: line 1412:
Could not extract information from FS.0 of CD#1.
Could not get platform or release information: command not found

I am a newbie of Linux and I just have an instruction set from which I install Cadence. Could someone please guide me as to what I can do to install Cadence IC-5.0 on Mandriva Powerpack 2007 or do I have to again go back to Mandrake 9.2? Are there any libraries or some packages I can install so that Cadence can be installed? Just out of curiosity, can Cadence work on Windows XP pro SP2? Thanks.

I just spent a
couple of days with pretty much the same problem. Got help from a guy that knows Linux very well.

The problem is that Cadence is a poor quality, poorly supported product and is compiled with dependencies to almost obsoleted libs.

It requires that the linux distro is installed with glibc versions that are compatible with the glib 2.0. The last version that was compatible was 2.3. Cadence does not provide versions compiled with newer libs, though it would probably be very easy to do so.

There are some tricks one can do to cheat Cadence and the installer to do this. For instance you may google n the "assume_kernel" environment variable trick that seems to have helped some people, https://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/printthread.php?t=123587

In our case none of them worked. Neither could we install an old enough linux version (we use Fedora and would have had to use 4), because those would not recognize the new hardware.

What did work was to install CentOS, a new distro with old glibs. Then everything was trivial.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I tried the export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 but it doesn't seem to help. I am trying more ways by trying things from various forums so we'll see what happens. In case you have anything to share about what libraries I shall install for this version of Cadence, please drop in some lines. I am running lib.so.6 ersion of libraries on Mandriva Powerpack 2007.

Our expert (who is really good) didn't think it is possible to change those libraries. They are kind of native to the OS. Lots of people have problems installing Cadence due to this.

Added after 3 hours 55 minutes:

For windows design jobs, I use Tanner. It costs a lot less and is a lot better written than Cadence.

It's a matter og luck. Cadence IC-5.00 never supports Linux Mandriva, just only RedHat Linux

Actually, Debian has also compatible libs. I will try it tomorrow and get back to you.

Let me know if it work.

My hard drive controller went bust over night. Gotta go back to work. Couldn't finish. Will buy a new one and treat it better this night. BRB.

It works on Debian/Ubuntu!

setting model path?

Hi,
Can i use nmos.m model files for 4 pin nmos circuits or they can be used for 3 pin ckts. only?
I am getting the following error while simulation:
Q0 is an instance of undefined model trpnp .
M0 is an instance of undefined model nmos
M1is an instance of undefined model pmos .
Please Help Me!!
Singh

Sorry fr posting ma prob. in ur forum!! The problem has been troubleshooted .. I was nt able to setup the model path initially!
Thanks fr .... .. £o£ no 1 helped me ... neways i was here just to inform so that no nice man would suffer due to me!
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.