Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

equivalent IC for LM3915 Dot/Bar Display Driver ....please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali shaheen

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello:)

I want to make a circuit in which this IC is used to display the voltage level of the input audio signal through LEDs so in that circuit this IC(lm3915) is used but unfortunately it is not available in the markets in KARACHI..:sad:..so please if any one could help me find an equivalent IC for this one.

best regards
ALI SHAHEEN

LM3915 is the most popular LED bargraph driver, so if it's not available in your region, I fear that it's unlikely to find a replacement. The best solution is most likely to create a similar functionality from standard IC, e.g. 3 LM339 4x comparator and an OP for the input amplifier/rectifier, also resistors as LED current limiters and a reference voltage divider chain. Unfortunately, the required board space will be increased by a factor of at least 5.

You could use a PIC with ADC and internal clock. It would need a little software but it could replicate the 3914, 3915 or 3916 (or all of them) almost exactly although the pin-outs might be different. It's a one chip solution !

Brian.

Its an one chip soluttion for 10 led bargraph. I have not even thought about an alternative till date and too may not be available. The same chip is manufactured by many companies worldwide, and may be available with most of the component vendors. The other option is to use a microcontroller with ADC as "Brian" said.

I agree, that the uP solution is considerably reducing the component count, but still requires current limiting resistors. And programming skills on your side.

hello

thank you very much to all of you ......but i got one lm3914 from the market....i hope that will work perfectly....and specially the up advice ....I really appreciate it though......

best regards
alishaheen

Status
Not open for further replies.