Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

equipments and books for an embedded systems lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

musfiq

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
embedded design with pic18f452 microcontroller

hello friends,

i am from BD. the CSE dept. in our university is thinking to setup an embedded systems lab. But we have lack of information on the necessary/essential equipments/books and others (even i may not know) to run such a lab. So i turn to you. can you help me in this concern?

a lot of thanx for reading...

--- musfiq

Hi, For the PIC Microcontroller from Microchip, I suggest you get the book " Embedded Design with PIC18F452 Microcontroller" By John B Peatman (Prentice Hall. The author is a Professor in Georgia Institute of Technology, teaching on the subject of embedded system. You can visit his website at www.picbook.com for some free chapters on the books.

This book is rated "Advanced " level in the Microchip website under BOOK section.

Regards

For the networking with microcontrollers, try to get "Networking and Internetworking with Microcontrollers" by Eady which is by far the easiest to understand and used as a reference book.

The embedded system could be used in so many fields. So the first thing is what do you want your students to learn from the lab. Then you could start decide the content of your lab.

true,

embedded system is a broad field.

depending on how you define the scope of your lab.

For the equipment, at the least, get a CRT, variablale DC power supply, multimeter etc.

most of labs are equipped with simulation software where the students can design and iterface circuits on the computer , which is mush faster and easier to teach.
Check out tools such as epD.

Also low cost development boards/kits are a must for embedded labs to teach students on the concepts of interfacing memory and other peripherals

-G

i think that the main requirement of an embedded systems lab is one PC per student and one or two FPGA kits. but then you could also add oscilloscopes, protoboards, logic analyzers, function generators etc but that all depends on the type of work you are going to do there. if you will be working on developing FPGA applications then you just need the computers and a single FPGA kit. the reason is that most of the work is done in software. all the HDL coding, synthesis, floor planning, routing, verification and redesign can be done on software. the implementation on a target board is the last step.

Got a good unit of logic analyzer (PC host or standalone type). You will have to use it to see bus and logic activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back