Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Energy storage in a capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

v9260019

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If let p=d/dt, 1/p=∫da from -∞ to t then the power absorbed by a capacitor is
p(t)=v(t)i(t)=v(t)Cpv(t)=p[1/2*Cv(t)^2]=pw(t)
Look at the last two terms and apply the 1/p operator from the left. Then ,assuming that w(t) is zero for t<=0 along with voltage and current, we have
w(t)=1/2*Cv(t)^2
"Then ,assuming that w(t) is zero for t<=0 along with voltage and current"
why need this assumption ????

Probably to tell you there is no previous charge on the capacitor.

Note that you are performing the integral from \[-\infty\] to \[t\] and that integration is being split into two integrals
\[ W(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{t} v_C (t) i_C(t) dt = \underbrace{\int_{-\infty}^{0} v_C (t) i_C(t) dt}_{Initial Energy} + \int_{0}^{t} v_C (t) i_C(t) dt\]
The result of the first integral is the initial energy (which can be denoted as \[W_C(0)\]), which need not necessarily equal zero. But if the initial capacitor voltage is zero then it will be. The second integral is solved by using the fact that \[i_C(t) = C \frac{dv_C(t)}{dt}\].
\[ W(t) = W_C(0) + \int_{0}^{t} v_C C \frac{d v_C}{dt} dt = W_C(0) + C \int_{0}^{t} {v^2_C} C dv_C = W_C(0) + \frac{1}{2} C {v^2_C(t)}\]
You could also define change in the capacitor energy as \[\Delta W_C(t) = W_C(t) - W_C(0)\] which would just give you \[\frac{1}{2} C {v^2_C(t)}\] no matter what the initial energy is since it is a difference.

Best regards,
v_c

Status
Not open for further replies.