Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] energy dissipation in a RC circuits with initially charged capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

srimatresri

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
in the following ckt, both caps are having different charges, so while charge transfer some charge is dissipated through resistor. how to calculate it.

rc energy.PNG

i solved it like this.
correct me if i am wrong
13092011071.jpg

Your solution looks long winded.
1. Calculate the voltages in steady state after the switch has been closed. It's just a charge balance problem and doesn't depend on R.
2. Calculate stored energies in initial and final state. The difference is is the dissipated energy.

thanks for your suggestion,
can u please solve this

thanks for ur suggestion
i solved the other way as u said, here it is
13102011195.jpg

but the question that arose is
why and how energy is dissipated for charge sharing?

You can think like this:
Tha placement of the switch can be changed, placing it between a C and the R;
Looking between the two terminals, the series of the two C's is completely equivalent to (indistinguishable from) a single C of value Ceq (0.83... F) initially charged at Vs=V1+V2 (6 V), whose energy is Ceq*Vs^2/2.
In the final condition, all this energy is dissipated.

Regards

Z

One more comment:
The rest of the energy in the C's (once steady state is reached) can not be extracted without accessing the node between them.
Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.