Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EMDS vs Momentum in ADS 2009? - for antenna properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

theone23

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm a beginner at using ADS, i'm using this software for my final year's project to design a Microstrip patch antenna 4X1 array,
and i'm trying to figure out what are my antenna's properties (gain, directivity, etc.) using ADS.

I've noticed there are two optional simulators for obtaining these properties - one through Momentum's simulation for far field (in 'post processing' option) and the other is in a tab called 'EMDS' where i can do the same far field simulation.
in both simulators i get VERY different results (different numbers for antenna's properties) ... which simulator is the right one?

thanks! :smile:

Last edited:

Microstrip patch antenna 4X1 array

This can be simulated with Momentum with good accuracy.
It can also be simulated with the EMDS solver, which requires more user knowledge to set it up properly.

If your Momentum results do not agree with the EMDS results, for this antenna case, there is some mistake in one (or both) simulation configuration/models.

Hi,
EMDS uses finite elements method (mesh is 3D) although Momentum uses a planar method (Integrals Equations, Method of Moment, mesh is 2D). For your design that is a planar structure, i think that best results and quick time are given by Momentum ADS. I have already simulate a for rectangular patch array at 5.8 GHz, on one side with HFSS and in other side with ADS Momentum, after making the PCB , the measurements were much agree with ADS mmomentum.

Hi,
EMDS uses finite elements method (mesh is 3D) although Momentum uses a planar method (Integrals Equations, Method of Moment, mesh is 2D). For your design that is a planar structure, i think that best results and quick time are given by Momentum ADS. I have already simulate a for rectangular patch array at 5.8 GHz, on one side with HFSS and in other side with ADS Momentum, after making the PCB , the measurements were much agree with ADS mmomentum.

Hello

my question is about simulation with HFSS and ADS, because I tried to do the same thing with an inverted F antenna I noticed that the result after makin the PCB were much agree with momentum , so in your designs , what were the diference between the both design( S11, geometry modification,...) in my case I had to increase the distance between the shorting point and the feeding to get a good result in HFSSand this distance is different ti PCB and momentum

many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back