Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Embedded WiFi information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheetuz

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Folks,

Looking for some information about WiFi, I have had a fairly deep look at the 802.11 standard and whilst quite an interesting read and no doubt very useful for chip manufactures it did not prove very useful for my purposes.
What I am looking for is information relating to the implementation of embedded Ethernet and the steps involved, so information regarding the network access layer drivers, the types of PHY available to me, application layer protocols for security, that kind of stuff, any pointers in the right direction, especially to someone elses project that they have done would be greatly appreciated.
I would also like to point out that I would like to do this properly and not with a WiFI to USART or WiFi to SPI.

Thanks,

/Pheetuz

You mentioned Wifi, but then also mentioned Ethernet - did you mean IP?
Do you want a wireless interface or a physical (Ethernet) network connection?
The reason most people use a module (for Wifi or for Ethernet) is because there are a few
protocols that need to be implemented, and some people would prefer to rely on
pre-existing ones, and just implement what they need at layer 5.
For example, protocols like arp, ping and so on would need to be implemented if you
don't use a pre-existing stack or module.
Regarding security, that depends on needs - for example, you'll probably never be able to
sustain a DoS attack on a small embedded platform, but then you'd hope that this is handled
by the (non-embedded) router or device at the edge of your network.
If you want to know about the protocols in detail, unfortunately that entails reading a
lot of RFCs : (

Hi,
It is used to produce the internet for a limited area. There are very easy way to work in this area . It has the very speed internet . The working of the WI-FI is that it directly connected to the server and give the response to the client . The middle channel are not used in the WI-FI.
Thanking you .

Hi Sky,
I have done more research into this subject area over the past few days and seemed to find everything you have said to be true, everywhere just seems to have an in built TCP/IP stack and allows access to the network from layer 5 with an API to control the lower levels from the host. Have you used an specific modules in the past that you would recommend considering?
Cheers,
/Pheetuz

Hi Pheetuz,
I've yet to use a module, but I did order one from mouser, it is RN-171 (order code 765-RN-171 ) because it was one of the cheaper ones (about £20+vat). I'm looking forward to trying it out, just not had a chance recently! Unfortunately, I think unless the embedded platform is running full-blown Linux (and hence a stack too), we are pretty much forced to use these types of modules, to save having to implement a stack from scratch.
I'm planning to try the module with just an AT91SAM7S or AVR device.

Yes the RN-171 is one of those modules that I was looking at, the uC that I am going to be using will most likely have a stack in it for Ethernet anyway so perhaps I would be able to just get a module that handles the physical and network access layer of things and then use the same stack for the TCP/IP part of things, after all that's why the suite is divided up into layers!
Cheers for your help!

Hi Pheetuz,

If you are looking for a WiFi module, you can check Whiz-Fi modules. It seams to contain pre programmed TCP/IP core with in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back